Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Map Fall 2021
The curriculum sequence mapped below is a sample sequence, as all Grainger Engineering students work with a department academic advisor to achieve their educational goals, specific to their needs and preparation. Before reviewing the maps below, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced in the maps below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
Academic Catalog Year 2021-2022
- Course prerequisite chain
- Immediate prerequisite
- Credit or concurrent registration required
- Concurrent registration required
- Postrequisite course sequence
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year|
Before reviewing the links, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
- RHET 105 (or an alternative Composition I sequence) is taken either in the first or second semester of the first year, according to the student's UIN (Spring if your UIN is Odd). ME 170 is taken the other semester. Composition I guidelines can be found at http://catalog.illinois.edu/general-information/degree-general-education-requirements/ under Written Communication Requirement.
- Students must take 6 hours from the campus General Education Social and Behavioral Sciences list, 6 hours from campus General Education Humanities and the Arts list, and 6 hours from a liberal education list approved by the college or from the campus General Education lists for Social and Behavioral Sciences or Humanities and the Arts. ECON 102 or ECON 103 must be one of the Social and Behavioral Sciences courses. Students must also complete the campus cultural studies requirement by completing (i) one western/comparative culture(s) course, (ii) one non-western culture(s) course, and (iii) one U.S. Minority Culture(s) course from the General Education cultural studies lists. Most students select general education courses that simultaneously satisfy these cultural studies requirements.
- Science elective of 4 hours, semester placement depends on prerequisites. Students may choose from CHEM 104 & 105, MCB 150 (& 151 recommended) or PHYS 213 & 214.
- MechSE Electives totaling 6 hours, selected from dept approved list.
- ME 470 is taken either the first or second semester of the fourth year, according to the student's UIN (FA if UIN is even and SP if UIN is odd). ME 470 satisfies the Advanced Composition requirement. MechSE elective is taken the other semester.
- Statistics Electives totaling 3 hours. IE 300 or STAT 400 (4 hrs). The extra hour for STAT 400 will count towards free elective hours.
- Technical Electives totaling 6 hours, selected from dept approved list. The Technical Elective category can also be fulfilled with MechSE Electives over the required 6 hours.
The code used to present this flowsheet is based on original work shared by the University at Buffalo School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.