World-class across the board
Ranked one of the Top Engineering Programs around the world, Grainger Engineering has $239 million in research expenditures and $40 million in corporate research each year. We have 650 researchers involved with more than 2,000 research projects focusing on new energy solutions, complete water systems, advanced manufacturing and materials, bioengineering, data analytics, and many more. Over 400 faculty, including those elected to the National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences, are doing the impossible every day.
Research projects underway
Faculty elected to the National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences
Researchers working together
Visioning Future Excellence Initiative
The Visioning Future Excellence Initiative here at Illinois speaks to our commitment to drive change for some of the world's most pressing issues. In Engineering, we play a major role in creating and implementing this change. Interdisciplinary Themes
- Information and Technology
- Health and Wellness
- Energy and Environment
Strategic Research Initiatives
Through multidisciplinary partnerships, companies benefit from the promising innovations explored at the University of Illinois. Our Strategic Research Initiatives (SRI) program expands research capabilities and supports collaboration in new and emerging areas. SRI supports exploratory research in evolving new fields and enhances existing capabilities for new interdisciplinary focus areas or centers. Funding for SRI programs comes primarily from The Grainger College of Engineering.
Faculty and students are just two of the core elements of The Grainger College of Engineering. The facilities at the University of Illinois are an integral part of the groundbreaking work on campus. Multidisciplinary research is fostered through research spaces designed specifically for collaboration. These state-of-the-art facilities allow faculty the arena for creating ambitious research initiatives that impact on a global level.
$75M+ in multidisciplinary research expenditures, in translational fields like:
- Advanced materials and manufacturing
- Biomedical technology and devices
- Energy technologies
- Data analytics and computing
60+ laboratories, research centers, and institutes, including:
- Illinois Applied Research Institute (ARI) - This is a team of problem solvers and innovators committed to accelerating research and product development and deployment. ARI is a quasi-independent business unit able to negotiate quickly and meet unique project demands. It operates at the hub of research knowledge in the Champaign-Urbana area, located in the University of Illinois Research Park.
- Advanced Digital Sciences Center (Singapore)
8 multidisciplinary research centers with significant industry engagement: