Admission to The Grainger College of Engineering is the first step toward doing the impossible and becoming an engineer innovator. Our top-ranked undergraduate majors challenge your imagination, helping you to find your place and passion. Here, you will join a community of brilliant students and faculty that will support you in achieving your goals.
Undergraduate Application Process
At Grainger Engineering, you apply directly to your engineering major of interest. This enables immediate interaction with faculty and peers in the department, builds community, and assists your involvement in research and extracurriculars related specifically to your academic goals.
All engineering applications are submitted through the University of Illinois Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Please note we do not use the Common Application.
- Select a program of study that best fits your skills, interests, and goals.
- Review and gather all application requirements to prepare for each stage of the application process.
- Complete the online application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- The University sends out communication via email. Applicants are encouraged to carefully read all emails sent from the Department and University to ensure no additional forms are needed after submission of the online application.
Already applied to Grainger Engineering?
Your application status can be accessed at any time through our admissions portal.
If you have been admitted to Grainger Engineering, you can accept your offer, manage your admitted student checklist, and complete your enrollment requirements.
What We Look for in an Applicant
The Grainger College of Engineering is home to some of the most innovative problem solvers and creative thinkers in engineering. Accordingly, we review all applications holistically, taking a wide variety of factors into consideration during the admission process to ensure all admitted students are best fit for success in the Grainger community.
The Office of Admissions reviews the following as part of the application process:
High School Courses & GPA
When planning what courses to take in high school for entry into engineering, it’s important to have strong academic rigor. We encourage you to take the most advanced courses available to you that will allow you to earn grades that reflect your academic ability, especially in math and science.
If your school offers a pre-engineering or AP track, we will look to see if you followed it. If you did take AP/IB/A Level exams, you may be able to enter Illinois with some college credit. We also look to see that you have consistently performed well in these courses through senior year, final semester.
Test Scores (ACT or SAT)
There is no minimum required standardized test score (ACT/SAT) required for admission to Grainger Engineering. However, the admissions team does seek out stronger score performances, especially in math.
Students applying for Fall 2021 freshman admission to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign will not be required to submit SAT or ACT test results due to the COVID-19 pandemic limiting students’ opportunities to take the exams.
If you choose not to report SAT or ACT scores, a TOEFL or IELTS may be required. If you are including these scores, you should report your highest TOEFL (do not use MyBest score) or IELTS score and highest sub-scores, regardless of test date. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have extended our testing options to also accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and IETLS Indicator.
High School Class Rank
Admission into a Grainger College of Engineering undergraduate program is most selective. Therefore, it is imperative to see that you have excelled throughout high school and acted as an academic leader in your class. If your school tracks high school percentile rank, it will be reviewed with your application.
Extracurricular activities, work, volunteer experience, and achievement outside the classroom demonstrate personal strengths and skills that could contribute to the Grainger Engineering community. We look for students who are going to continue that involvement once on campus and participate in the wealth of activities found at Illinois.
Awards and Notable Accomplishments
We will take note if you have demonstrated a significant impact or level of accomplishment in your school, community, state, and/or national activities.
2018 Admitted Freshman Profile (Middle 50%)
SAT (no writing): 1430-1530
The Admissions team seeks students who will take advantage of Grainger Engineering’s cutting-edge resources and add their unique talents to our tight-knit community. Accordingly, we place great importance on the essay portion of the application, which provides us with more information about:
- Why you're interested in the major to which you applied
- Your passion through chosen activities, work experience, research, or course selection in high school
- The challenges you have faced and overcome
- How you've matured and grown through past experiences or evidence of character development, cultural insight, community awareness, and/or leadership
- What sets you apart from other applicants
- Your strength of writing
Most of all, we look for a genuine passion in the pursuit of an engineering career and how you will do the impossible at Grainger Engineering.
- Do your research about Grainger Engineering. Write about how your interests and/or relevant activities match the curriculum that you want to study. This can mean looking into our majors and classes and sharing how you look to benefit from them.
- If you select a second-choice major, be sure to make use of the second essay, which describes your interest in this major too. We are excited about your interest in attending Grainger Engineering. Writing the second essay allows you the opportunity to tell us more about you, what difference you hope to make as an engineer, and what transition you look forward to making upon graduation from Illinois. When you do not write the second essay, it tells us that you are not interested in any other major. This limits our ability to offer majors/opportunities that we feel can best help you reach the same or similar academic goals.
Undergraduate Tuition and Financial Aid
At the University of Illinois, we understand that an undergraduate degree from The Grainger College of Engineering is a significant investment in achieving your goals. We work to ensure all students are supported as they navigate the process of financing their degree, and we will work with you and your family to understand Grainger Engineering’s tuition and fees, as well as financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
Imagine Yourself at Grainger Engineering
Visiting Grainger Engineering is the best way to see how you fit into our vibrant community. You will learn more about our state-of-the-art labs and research centers, as well as our residence halls and student life spaces. We offer a range of visit types, tailoring them directly to your application status and individual interests. This allows you to envision your future at The Grainger College of Engineering. Learn more and schedule your visit today.
Contact the Grainger Engineering Admissions Team
The Grainger Engineering Admissions Team is ready to help you navigate every step of the admissions process. Do not hesitate to contact our team with any questions; our contact information can be found below.
Create Your Future in Engineering at Grainger Engineering
Applying to The Grainger College of Engineering opens the door to your future as an innovative and successful engineer. Get started by scheduling a visit, requesting information, or submitting your application.