Multicultural Engineering Recruitment for Graduate Education (MERGE)
Grainger Engineering is one of the world's top-ranked engineering colleges. Our students, faculty, and alumni set the standard for excellence. We drive the economy, reimagine engineering education, and bring revolutionary ideas to the world.
To learn more about Grainger Engineering graduate programs, join us for the virtual 2020 Multicultural Engineering Recruitment for Graduate Education (MERGE) Event on October 16, 2020, 2-5:30 pm Central Time.
During this event, you will learn about applying to graduate school, funding your studies, and becoming a successful researcher. You will also hear from current students, faculty, and graduate programs staff, and will be able to engage in live Q&A sessions. Following the event, there will be additional opportunities to virtually visit with your program of interest.
MERGE participants are eligible for an application fee waiver when applying to a Grainger Engineering graduate program and are automatically awarded $700 of professional development funds if they matriculate in a Grainger Engineering graduate program.
Applications are due on September 21, 2020.
To apply to the MERGE program you must be:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled or recently completed an accredited curriculum in engineering, computer science, or physics
Preference will be given to individuals who will be graduating in the coming year, with a GPA of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 point scale), and individuals whose cultural background will increase the diversity of the graduate student body - for example, African American, Latina/Latino/Latinx, Native American/Alaskan Native, women, or persons with disabilities.
To receive full consideration, we advise that all application materials should be submitted as soon as possible. The following items must be provided within your application:
- An unofficial transcript
- A statement of no more than two pages addressing your plans for graduate study, including research interests, career goals, relevant coursework completed, and other educational experiences
- A detailed resume that outlines research experiences, internships, publications, and leadership experiences
Unique "Micro-Urban" Community
Urbana-Champaign is on an accelerated development track, emerging as a leading example of a "micro-urban" community—a population center of less than 250,000 with a set of highly desirable attributes commonly found in larger cities. Our vibrant arts/culture/nightlife scene, internationally diverse population, strong technology base, and commitment to societal issues coupled with a world-class university make this an ideal place to live, study, and work.
True Interdisciplinary Spirit
We're home to numerous research centers, multidisciplinary research efforts, and many advanced laboratories. Interdisciplinary discovery is a topic of conversation at every university today. At Illinois, it isn't just talk. It's a way of life. Here it's possible to redefine success, and invent new ways of working with colleagues from across campus in almost any field, for almost any reason.
Graduate Program Rankings
The graduate engineering programs at the University of Illinois' Grainger College of Engineering ranked 10th overall in the Best Graduate Schools issue of U.S. News and World Report (published in March 2020.) The following list includes all of Grainger Engineering's ranked graduate engineering science specialties and their corresponding ranking.
Graduate Degree Program Rankings
- 7 Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical
- 6 Biological / Agricultural
- 24 Biomedical / Bioengineering
- 13 Chemical
- 1 Civil
- 5 Computer Engineering
- 5 Computer Science
- 8 Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence
- 11 Computer Science - Programming Language
- 5 Computer Science - Systems
- 12 Computer Science - Theory
- 4 Electrical / Electronic / Communications
- 4 Environmental / Environmental Health
- 14 Industrial / Manufacturing / Systems Engineering
- 6 Materials
- 5 Mechanical
- 6 Nuclear
- 9 Physics
- 12 Physics - Atomic / Molecular / Optical
- 1 Physics - Condensed Matter
- 11 Physics - Nuclear
- 9 Online Graduate Engineering