Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Map Fall 2022
The curriculum sequence mapped below is a sample sequence, as all Grainger Engineering students work with a department academic advisor to achieve their educational goals, specific to their needs and preparation. Before reviewing the maps below, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced in the maps below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
Academic Catalog Year 2022-2023
- Course prerequisite chain
- Immediate prerequisite
- Credit or concurrent registration required
- Concurrent registration required
- Postrequisite course sequence
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year|
Before reviewing the links, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
- External transfer students take ENG 300.
- MATH 220 may be substituted. MATH 220 is appropriate for students with no background in calculus. 4 of 5 credit hours count towards degree.
- RHET 105 (or an alternative Composition I sequence) is taken either in the first or second semester of the first year, according to the student's UIN (SP if UIN is odd). ME 170 is taken the other semester. Composition I guidelines can be found at Degree and General Education Requirements under Written Communication Requirement.
- General Education: Students must complete the Campus General Education requirements including the campus general education language requirement. One of the SBS courses must be an introductory economics course (ECON 102 or ECON 103). ME 470 will satisfy a core course requirement and the Campus General Education Advanced Composition requirement.
- CS 124 or ECE 220 may be substituted.
- Science Elective of 4 hours, semester placement depends on prerequisites. Students may choose from CHEM 104 & 105, MCB 150 (& 151 recommended) or PHYS 213 & 214.
- ECE 110 and either ECE 210 or ECE 211 may be substituted.
- Additional coursework, subject to the Grainger College of Engineering restrictions to Free Electives, so that there are at least 128 credit hours earned toward the degree.
- Statistics Elective totaling 3 hours. IE 300 or STAT 400 (4 hrs). The extra hour for STAT 400 will count towards Free Elective hours.
- ME 470 is taken either the first or second semester of the fourth year, according to the student's UIN (FA if UIN is odd, SP if UIN is even). ME 470 satisfies the Advanced Composition requirement. Technical Elective is taken the other semester.
- MechSE Electives totaling 6 hours and Technical Electives totaling 6 hours, selected from department approved lists. The Technical Elective category can also be fulfilled with MechSE Electives over the required 6 hours.
The code used to present this flowsheet is based on original work shared by the University at Buffalo School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.