Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Map
The curriculum sequence mapped below is a suggested sequence, as all Grainger Engineering students work with a department academic advisor to achieve their educational goals, specific to their needs and preparation.
For current students enrolled in academic catalog years prior to 2021-2022, see the previous curriculum maps here.
- Course prerequisite chain
- Immediate prerequisite
- Credit or concurrent registration required
- Concurrent registration required
- Postrequisite course sequence
- RHET 105 (or an alternative Composition I sequence) is taken either in the first or second semester of the first year, according to the student's UIN (Spring if your UIN is Odd). ME 170 is taken the other semester. Composition I guidelines can be found at http://catalog.illinois.edu/general-information/degree-general-education-requirements/ under Written Communication Requirement.
- Students must take 6 hours from the campus General Education Social and Behavioral Sciences list, 6 hours from campus General Education Humanities and the Arts list, and 6 hours from a liberal education list approved by the college or from the campus General Education lists for Social and Behavioral Sciences or Humanities and the Arts. ECON 102 or ECON 103 must be one of the Social and Behavioral Sciences courses. Students must also complete the campus cultural studies requirement by completing (i) one western/comparative culture(s) course, (ii) one non-western culture(s) course, and (iii) one U.S. Minority Culture(s) course from the General Education cultural studies lists. Most students select general education courses that simultaneously satisfy these cultural studies requirements.
- Science elective of 4 hours, semester placement depends on prerequisites. You may choose from CHEM 104/105, MCB 150(/151 optional) OR PHYS 213/214.
- MechSE Electives totaling 6 hours, selected from dept approved list.
- ME 470 is taken either the first or second semester of the fourth year, according to the student's UIN (FA if UIN is even and SP if UIN is odd). ME 470 satisfies the Advanced Composition requirement. MechSE elective is taken the other semester.
- Statistics Electives totaling 3 hours. IE 300 or STAT 400 (4 hrs). The extra hour for STAT 400 will count towards free elective hours.
- Technical Electives totaling 6 hours, selected from dept approved list. The Technical Elective category can also be fulfilled with MechSE Electives over the required 6 hours.
The code used to present this flowsheet is based on original work shared by the University at Buffalo School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.