How to Apply
Now that you have decided to join us at the Grainger College of Engineering, here are some general guidelines and steps to apply. Be sure to check with your department for any additional requirements.
- Select a program of study that best fits your skills and interests.
- Review all application requirements and prepare for each stage of the application process.
- Complete the online application through the Graduate College
- Carefully read all emails sent from the department and university to ensure no additional forms must be completed after you submit the online application.
- Follow up with the department before the application deadline to ensure all application materials have been received. Many departments have an online system that allows you to see what application materials have not been received.
- You must have been awarded (or are about to be awarded a four-year bachelor's degree equivalent to that granted by the University of Illinois) to be eligible for graduate programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If your undergraduate degree is a three-year program, you are not eligible for graduate-level admissions consideration at the University of Illinois.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign requires you to hold at least a 3.0/4.0 or higher GPA in your undergraduate degree to be eligible for graduate studies on this campus.
- You cannot apply to a master's or doctoral program if you already hold a master's or Ph.D. in the field that is equivalent to the one awarded by Illinois.
- If your native language is not English, which includes permanent residents of the United States (green card), you must submit your TOEFL or IELTS test scores. Those scores should be reported through ETS to Illinois.
- The University of Illinois has a total minimum score that is required for admission: https://grad.illinois.edu/admissions/instructions/04c
- Check to see if you are exempt from this requirement based on your country of citizenship: https://grad.illinois.edu/admissions/apply/exemptcountries
Office of Graduate and Professional Programs
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
400 Engineering Hall
1308 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801