Grainger College of Engineering offers a range of elite graduate master’s and doctoral degree programs, in-person and online, across in-demand engineering fields. Exploring graduate admission to Grainger expands your horizons and ability to do the impossible, because our programs hold a longstanding reputation for innovation, driving our students to develop creative solutions to the world’s emerging challenges.
Graduate Application Process
All applications to Grainger College of Engineering engineering master’s and doctoral degree programs are submitted directly through the University of Illinois Graduate College.
Already applied to Grainger Engineering?
Your application status can be accessed at any time through our admissions portal.
- Select a program of study that best fits your skills, interests, and goals.
- Review and gather all application requirements to prepare for each stage of the application process.
- Complete the online application through the Graduate College.
- The University sends out communication via email. Applicants are encouraged to carefully read all emails sent from the Department and University to ensure no additional forms are needed after submission of the online application.
- Follow up with the department before the application deadline to ensure all application materials have been received. Many departments have an online system that allows you to see what application materials have not been received.
Graduate Application Requirements
You must have been awarded (or are about to be awarded) a four-year bachelor's degree equivalent to that granted by the University of Illinois to be eligible for graduate programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If your undergraduate degree is a three-year program, you are not eligible for graduate-level admissions consideration at the University of Illinois.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign requires you to hold at least a 3.0/4.0 or higher GPA in your undergraduate degree to be eligible for graduate studies on this campus.
You cannot apply to a master's or doctoral program if you already hold a master's or Ph.D. respectively in the field that is equivalent to the one awarded by Illinois.
International applicants have an additional admission requirement that they must take into consideration when submitting their application to Grainger. If your native language is not English, which includes permanent residents of the United States (those holding a green card), you must submit TOEFL or IELTS test scores. Those scores should be reported directly through ETS to Illinois; a copy of these scores will not be accepted.
- The University of Illinois has a total minimum score that is required for admission.
- Check to see if you are exempt from this English proficiency requirement based on your country of citizenship.
More information can be found on the Graduate College’s international applicants requirements.
Funding for Graduate Students
A Grainger College of Engineering graduate degree is an important, fulfilling investment in your future, and we offer a range of funding opportunities to support your success, including departmental support and scholarships, as well as assistantships and fellowships that provide professional and research experience throughout the program.
The Grainger Engineering Admissions Team is ready to help you navigate every step of the admissions process. Contact our team with any questions; our contact information can be found below.
Office of Graduate and Professional Programs
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
400 Engineering Hall
1308 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801
Your Path to Grainger Engineering Begins Here
The Grainger College of Engineering is a global leader in engineering education and research, and submitting an application for graduate admission is your first step toward an elite academic experience that will bring a lifetime of return.