Facts & Rankings
The Grainger College of Engineering is a global leader for engineering education and research across every discipline. Unrivaled in size and resources, we are committed to providing an elite education to every student at the undergraduate and graduate levels, both on-campus and online.
Our students receive instruction from leading expert researchers and practitioners in your field. Their courses are filled with engaging, cutting-edge theory coupled with high-impact engineering research and hands-on learning experiences to ensure you are staying at the forefront of innovation.
Top 10 ranked degree programs
Overall undergraduate program
Overall graduate program
Undergraduate Program Rankings
Undergraduate engineering majors at The Grainger College of Engineering are ranked #6 overall in the U.S. News & World Report (published September, 2021). The following list includes all of our ranked undergraduate engineering majors. Note: U.S. News & World Report does not include nuclear, plasma, and radiological engineering, or systems engineering and design undergraduate majors in their rankings. The engineering physics major was last ranked in September 2015.
- #5 Aerospace Engineering
- #5 Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- #12 Bioengineering
- #8 Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- #3 Civil and Environmental Engineering
- #6 Computer Engineering
- #5 Computer Science
- #7 Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence
- #4 Computer Science - Biocomputing/Bioinformatics/Biotechnology
- #5 Computer Science - Computer Systems
- #5 Computer Science - Cybersecurity
- #9 Computer Science - Data Analytics/Science
- #3 Computer Science - Mobile/Web Applications
- #7 Computer Science - Programming Languages
- #5 Computer Science - Software Engineering
- #11 Computer Science - Theory
- #7 Electrical Engineering
- #2 Engineering Physics
- #6 Environmental Engineering
- #11 Industrial Engineering
- #2 Materials Science and Engineering
- #7 Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Mechanics
Graduate Program Rankings
Graduate engineering programs at The Grainger College of Engineering are ranked #10 overall in the Best Graduate Schools issue of U.S. News & World Report (published March 2020). The following list includes all of our ranked graduate engineering science specialties.
- #6 Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical
- #8 Biological / Agricultural
- #24 Biomedical / Bioengineering
- #12 Chemical
- #2 Civil
- #4 Computer Engineering
- #5 Computer Science
- #8 Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence
- #11 Computer Science - Programming Language
- #5 Computer Science - Systems
- #12 Computer Science - Theory
- #5 Electrical / Electronic / Communications
- #3 Environmental / Environmental Health
- #15 Industrial / Manufacturing / Systems Engineering
- #5 Materials
- #5 Mechanical
- #7 Nuclear
- #9 Physics
- #12 Physics - Atomic / Molecular / Optical
- #1 Physics - Condensed Matter
- #11 Physics - Nuclear
- #9 Online Graduate Engineering
Online Master's Program Rankings
Grainger Engineering's online master's degree programs are ranked #9 overall in the U.S. News & World Report (published January 2021). These programs provide the same rigorous and rewarding academic experience found on campus, while offering the flexibility, convenience, and ease of online access. We offer online master’s degree programs in multiple disciplines, instructed by world-class faculty in highly engaging virtual classroom environments. The curriculum covers in-demand topics that build knowledge and skills for immediate workplace applicability and rapid career growth.
- #1 Civil Engineering
- #4 Electrical Engineering
- #8 Engineering Management
- #2 Mechanical Engineering
- #8 Industrial Engineering
- #9 Overall Online Engineering Program
- #5 Best Online Engineering Program for Veterans
Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs
Best Online Master's in Civil Engineering Programs
Best Online Master's in Mechanical Engineering Programs
Best Online Master's in Electrical Engineering Programs
Best Online Master's in Engineering Programs for Veterans
A Tradition of Excellence
In addition to our individual undergraduate and graduate degree programs receiving top nationwide rankings, the Grainger College of Engineering and the greater University of Illinois have also continuously received praise for our reputation, strength of academic programming, outstanding faculty, and leading research. We are proud to be a leader in our field, providing an enriching experience that will innovate the future of engineering. Explore some of our recent accolades below!
Leading the Field in Engineering and Technology
The Grainger College of Engineering is #1 for Automation and Control by ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (2019)
The University of Illinois is ranked #15 for Engineering & Technology in the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings. (2016)
Computer Science Degree Hub ranked Urbana-Champaign #4 in its 50 Great Cities for Studying Computers and Technology listing. (2014)
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was listed as #8 on Edudemic's 10 Innovative Universities Shaking Up Education." (2013)
Engineering at Illinois is #1 on "The Most-Cited Institutions in Engineering, 1999-2009," a list of the top 20 institutions worldwide with the highest total citations to research papers published in Thomson Reuters-indexed engineering journals from January 1, 1999 to October 31, 2009.
Recognition for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is #7 on Forbes' Top 10 Best Value Schools for 2016, based on tuition costs, school quality, graduation success and post-grad earnings.
Illinois is 7th on list of most undergraduate and graduate alumni hired by the 25 biggest Silicon Valley employers in the last year. (2017)
Illinois ranks #10 on Time's list of the 25 Best Public Colleges for Big Paychecks. (2017)
Illinois is #10 on Entrepreneur's list of university rankings based on the amount of VC funding its entrepreneurial alumni receive, the number of companies founded, and other metrics (Sept. 2016).
A Wall Street Journal study of the largest public and private companies, nonprofits and government agencies ranked the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign #3 for graduates top-rated by recruiters. (2013)
Urbana-Champaign Community: Fulfillment and Innovation
Urbana-Champaign is #2 on American Institute of Economic Research's Best College Towns based on demographics, quality of life, and economics.
Urbana-Champaign was ranked 9th, per capita, for first fundings of venture capital by Brookings. (2015)
Illinois is in the Top 20 globally for patents issued in 2014 according to the National Association of Inventors and the Intellectual Property Owners Association.