December 2022 Grainger College of Engineering Convocation
We are planning for an in-person ceremony in December. Kindly note that the COVID-19 situation remains fluid and plans may change in the interest of public health.
Saturday, December 17, 2022 at the Foellinger Great Hall of Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
1:30 p.m. -- Aerospace Engineering, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, Bioengineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Mechanical Science & Engineering, Nuclear, Plasma & Radiological Engineering, and Physics
- Registration for the fall convocation ceremony will open early September.
- Order your cap & gown. Academic attire may be ordered online at herff.ly/illinois.
- Complete the IlliniSuccess survey!
If you have questions, feel free to contact the Engineering Graduation Convocation Coordinator at:
Receiving Your Degree
You must declare your intent to graduate with The Grainger College of Engineering. This is normally done at the same time you register for your final semester of classes through the student registration system. If you do not complete this step, your name will not appear on the Pending Degree List, you will not receive information regarding the Graduation Ceremonies, and the date of your degree award and diploma could be delayed.
- If you are a Bachelor of Science student and you have not declared your intent to graduate by the tenth day of class of the semester you plan to graduate, you may request a Late Addition to the Undergraduate Engineering Degree List. If you have questions about applying to graduate, please contact the Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office at email@example.com or 217-333-2280.
- If you are part of a 5-year BS/MS or MENG program, you will only be able to participate in a Convocation/Commencement ceremony if you have completed the program entirely. You would walk as an MS graduate. If you are part of a 5-year program and are finishing your BS portion this semester, you cannot walk until your MS is completed. A joint degree program is a campus approved program in which a student concurrently pursues two specifically identified degrees, and those degrees are conferred simultaneously. For graduate students this is a combination of a graduate degree with one of the following: another graduate degree, an undergraduate degree, or a professional degree.
- If you are a graduate student, please contact your department.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The ceremony will include speeches from distinguished alumni, current students, and Dean Rashid Bashir. Each graduate's name will be read as they cross the stage. Dean Bashir and a representative from your department will present each graduate with a diploma cover.
Yes! We will be live-streaming our December ceremony. Please visit this web-page the day of the event to watch either ceremony. Please note that each ceremony is recorded and can be found at the bottom of this web-page.
The ceremony is anticipated to last roughly 2 hours. If you are wanting to make plans/reservations after the ceremony, we encourage families and friends to add an additional 15 minutes from the end of the ceremony to exit the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts and participate in exit traffic flow.
Yes. Due to limited capicity of the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, all graduates participating in our December ceremony must aquire tickets for their guests. Tickets for guests are always free of charge. Information regarding quantity and availability of tickets will be released early September.
- December 2021 Winter Ceremony
- December 2020 Winter Ceremony
- May 2020 Ceremony
- December 2019 Ceremony
- May 2019 Ceremony 1
- May 2019 Ceremony 2
- December 2018 Winter Ceremony
- May 2018 Ceremony 1
- May 2018 Ceremony 2
- December 2017 Full Ceremony
- May 2017 Full Ceremony
- December 2016 Full Ceremony
- May 2016 Ceremony 1
- May 2016 Ceremony 2
- December 2015 Full Ceremony
- May 2015 Ceremony 1
- May 2015 Ceremony 2
- December 2014 Full Ceremony
- May 2014 Ceremony 1
- May 2014 Ceremony 2