Grainger Matching Challenge FAQ
What is The Grainger Matching Challenge?
The Grainger Matching Challenge will match donations up to $25 million to Engineering at Illinois’ undergraduate scholarship endowments from January 1, 2017 — December 31, 2019.
How can I make a gift to qualify for The Grainger Matching Challenge?
It is easy to support the College of Engineering through The Grainger Matching Challenge! Visit our make a gift page for more information and to make your gift.
What gifts qualify for a match from The Grainger Matching Challenge?
- Gifts to Engineering Visionary Scholarship Funds
- Gifts to a new Engineering Visionary Scholarship Fund (min. $25,000 requirement)
- Gifts to an existing endowed scholarship fund
- Corporate gifts to an endowed scholarship fund
- The Grainger Matching Challenge will also match any employer contributions, which allows you to double, triple, or even quadruple your impact!
What gifts DO NOT qualify for a match from The Grainger Matching Challenge?
- Gifts to current use scholarship support (non-endowed scholarship support)
- Gifts for any other purpose than undergraduate scholarship support (i.e., graduate scholarships/fellowships, awards, building campaigns, etc.)
- Deferred gifts
Is there a specific amount I have to give to receive the match from The Grainger Matching Challenge towards my gift?
Gifts of any amount to an endowed undergraduate scholarship fund will be matched through The Grainger Matching Challenge.
What if I want to make a pledge?
Pledges will be matched by The Grainger Foundation in full at the time the commitment is made*! This allows the impact of the match to begin immediately. If you are interested in making a pledge, please contact us.
*Please note, individual pledge commitments cannot be fulfilled by gifts from donor advised funds, private foundations, or employer matching gifts. If you wish to fulfill a pledge via a donor advised fund or a private foundation, please work with Dale Wright, Associate Dean for Advancement, Illinois Engineering, to make your gift.
Can I use the funds from The Grainger Matching Challenge to help me reach the $25,000 minimum endowment level to have a named EVS fund?
No, the goal of The Grainger Matching Challenge is to double the impact. For a new fund, donors will need to reach the $25,000 minimum level either with an outright gift or pledge.
We look forward to helping you make your gift to the College of Engineering! Please visit our contact us page for a complete list of staff available to assist you in making your gift.