- Sohaib and Sara Abbasi Professor and Willett Faculty Scholar
For More Information
- Ph. D., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, August 1999.
Tarek Abdelzaher received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Michigan in 1999. He is currently a Professor and Willett Faculty Scholar at the Department of Computer Science, the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. He has authored/coauthored more than 300 refereed publications in real-time computing, CPS/IoT, distributed systems, intelligent networked sensing, machine learning, and control. He served as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Real-Time Systems for 20 years, and as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, IEEE Embedded Systems Letters, the ACM Transaction on Sensor Networks, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, ACM Transactions on Internet of Things, and the Ad Hoc Networks Journal. He chaired (as Program or General Chair) several conferences in his area including RTAS, RTSS, IPSN, Sensys, DCoSS, ICDCS, Infocom, and ICAC. Abdelzaher's research interests lie broadly in understanding and influencing performance and temporal properties of networked embedded, social, and software systems in the face of increasing complexity, distribution, and degree of interaction with an external physical environment. Tarek Abdelzaher is a recipient of the IEEE Outstanding Technical Achievement and Leadership Award in Real-time Systems (2012), the Xerox Award for Faculty Research (2011), as well as several best paper awards. He is a senior member of IEEE and a fellow of ACM.
- Social Sensing and Social Media Analysis
- Machine Learning for IoT/CPS
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS)
- Sensor Networks and Crowdsensing
- Intelligent Real-time Systems
Selected Articles in Journals
- (*w) Dong Wang, Qing Cao, Tarek Abdelzaher, Bodhi Priyantha, Jie Liu, Feng Zhao, "Energy-optimal Batching Periods for Asynchronous Multistage Data Processing on Sensor Nodes: Foundations and an mPlatform Case Study," Journal of Real-time Systems, Volume 48 Issue 2, March 2012.
- (**) Mani Srivastava, Tarek Abdelzaher, Boleslaw K. Szymanski, "Human-centric Sensing," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, special issue on Wireless Sensor Networks, Vol. 370, No. 1958, pp. 176-197, January 2012.
- (*w) Jin Heo, Praveen Jayachandran, Insik Shin, Dong Wang, Tarek Abdelzaher, Xue Liu, "OptiTuner: On Performance Composition and Server Farm Energy Minimization Application," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 22, No. 11, November 2011.
- (*) Heechul Yun, Po-Liang Wu, Anshu Arya, Tarek Abdelzaher, Cheolgi Kim, and Lui Sha, "System-wide Energy Optimization for Multiple DVS Components and Real-time Tasks," Journal of Real-time Systems, Volume 47, Number 5, September 2011.
- (**) K.C. Ting, Tarek Abdelzaher, Andrew Alleyne, and Luis Rodriguez, "Information Technology Empowered Agriculture: Challenges and Opportunities," The Bridge - A Publication of the National Academy of Engineering, Vol. 41, No. 3, September 2011.
- (*w) Wenbo He, Xue Liu, Hoang Nguyen, Klara Nahrstedt, Tarek Abdelzaher, "PDA: Privacy-preserving Data Aggregation for Information Collection," ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, Vol. 8, No. 1, August 2011.
- (**) Liu, X., Abdelzaher, T., "Non-utilization Bounds and Feasible Regions for Arbitrary Fixed-priority Policies," ACM Transactions on Embedded Systems, Vol. 10, No. 3, April 2011.
- (*w) Praveen Jayachandran and Tarek Abdelzaher, “Reduction-based Schedulability Analysis of Distributed Systems with Cycles in the Task Graph,” Journal of Real-Time Systems, Vol. 46, No. 1, September 2010.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- (**w) Hossein Ahmadi, Tarek Abdelzaher, Robin Kravets, "Adaptive Multi-metric Routing in Distressed Mobile Sensing Networks," IEEE International Conference on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing (IEEE SUTC), Newport Beach, CA, June, 2010. (Invited)
- (**w) Nam Pham, Tarek Abdelzaher, Suman Nath, "On Bounding Data Stream Privacy in Distributed Cyber-physical Systems," IEEE International Conference on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing (IEEE SUTC), Newport Beach, CA, June, 2010. (Invited)
- (*w) Hossein Ahmadi, Tarek Abdelzaher, Indranil Gupta, "Congestion Control for Spatio-temporal Data in Cyber-physical Systems," in Proc. 1st International Conference on Cyber-physical Systems (ICCPS), Stockholm, Sweden, April, 2010. (28.5%)
- (*w) Mohammad Maifi Hasan Khan, Hieu K. Le, Michael LeMay, Parya Moinzadeh, Lili Wang, Yong Yang, Dong K. Noh, Tarek Abdelzaher, Carl A. Gunter, Jiawei Han, Xin Jin, "Diagnostic Powertracing for Sensor Node Failure Analysis," IPSN, Stockholm, Sweden, April, 2010. (18%)
- (*w) Qing Cao, Dong Wang, Tarek Abdelzaher, Bodhi Priyantha, Jie Liu, Feng Zhao, "Energy-optimal Batching Periods for Asynchronous Multistage Data Processing on Sensor Nodes: Foundations and an mPlatform Case Study," IEEE RTAS, Stockholm, Sweden, April, 2010. (22%) Best Paper Award.
- (*w) Nathanael Thompson, Samual Nelson, Mehedi Bakht, Tarek Abdelzaher, Robin Kravets, "Retiring Replicants: Congestion Control for Intermittently-Connected Networks," IEEE Infocom, San Diego, CA, March 2010. (17.5%)
- (*w) Yong Yang, Lu Su, Yan Gao, Tarek Abdelzaher, "SolarCode: Utilizing Erasure Codes for Reliable Data Delivery in Solar-powered Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Infocom (miniconference), San Diego, CA, March 2010. (24.3%)
- (*w) Nam Pham, Raghu Ganti, Md. Yusuf Uddin, Suman Nath, Tarek Abdelzaher, "Privacy-Preserving Reconstruction of Multidimensional Data Maps in Vehicular Participatory Sensing," European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN), Coimbra, Portugal, February, 2010. (19%)
- Distinguished Paper Award, IMWUT Vol. 2 (2019)
- Top-3 Student Paper Award, Fusion (2019)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cyber-physical Systems (2017)
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Mobile Ad hoc and Sensor Systems (2016)
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Autonomic Computing (2015)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (2012)
- IEEE Technical Committee on Real-time Systems Outstanding Achievement and Leadership Award (2012)
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research (2011)
- Willett Faculty Scholar (2010)
- Best Paper Award, Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (2009)
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (2008)
- Best Paper Award, European Conference on Real-Time Systems (2007)
- Best Student Paper Award, IEEE Real-time Systems Symposium (2003)
- NSF CAREER Award (2001)
- Distinguished Achievement Award in Computer Science and Engineering, University of Michigan (1999)
Recent Courses Taught
- CS 424 - Real-Time Systems
- CS 598 TAR - Social Sensing