For more information
- Diploma, Civil Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 2011
- MSc, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2013
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Florida, 2016
Eleftheria (Ria) Kontou is an assistant professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign since 2019. Her research interests include transportation planning, electrification and emerging vehicle technologies operations, as well as transportation and energy sectors interdependencies. Prior to beginning her faculty position at UIUC, she was a postdoctoral research associate at the Transportation and Hydrogen Systems Center of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and conducted research in the Department of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She received her PhD in Civil Engineering, focusing on transportation systems, from the University of Florida. Dr. Kontou holds a MSc from Virginia Tech and a BSc from National Technical University of Athens in Civil Engineering. She is a member of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Alternative Transportation Fuels and Technologies of the National Academies and its Young Member Coordinating Council Chair.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Transportation and Hydrogen Systems Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Jan 2017-Aug 2018
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of City and Regional Planning, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Aug 2018-Oct 2019
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Oct 2019-Present
- UTM 598: Urban Transportation Models, Fall 2020 and Fall 2021
- CEE 201: Systems Engineering and Economics, Spring 2020 and Spring 2022
- Transportation and Energy Interdependencies
- Sustainable Emerging Transportation Systems
- Transportation Electrification Planning and Policy
Selected Articles in Journals
- Kontou, E., Yin, Y., & Lin, Z. (2015). Socially optimal electric driving range of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 39, 114-125.
- Kontou, E., Murray-Tuite, P., & Wernstedt, K. (2016). Commuter Adaptation in Response to Hurricane Sandy’s Damage. Natural Hazards Review, 18(2), 04016010.
- Kontou, E., Murray-Tuite, P., & Wernstedt, K. (2017). Duration of commute travel changes in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy using accelerated failure time modeling. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 100, 170-181.
- Kontou, E., Yin, Y., & Ge, Y. E. (2017). Cost-effective and ecofriendly plug-in hybrid electric vehicle charging management. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2628), 87-98.
- Kontou, E., Yin, Y., Lin, Z., & He, F. (2017). Socially optimal replacement of conventional with electric vehicles for the US household fleet. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 11(10), 749-763.
- Kontou, E., Liu, C., Xie, F., Wu, X., & Lin, Z. (2019). Understanding the linkage between electric vehicle charging network coverage and charging opportunity using GPS travel data. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 98, 1-13.
- Muratori, M., Kontou, E., & Eichman, J. (2019). Electricity rates for electric vehicle direct current fast charging in the United States. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 113, 109235.
- Porter, A., Kontou, E., McDonald, N. C., & Evenson, K. (2020). Perceived barriers to commuter and exercise bicycling in U.S. adults: The 2017 National Household Travel Survey. Journal of Transport and Health, 16, 108820.
- Greene, D., Kontou, E., Borlaug, B., Brooker, A., & Muratori M. (2020). Public charging infrastructure for plug-in electric vehicles: What is it worth? Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 78, 102182.
- Kontou, E., Garikapati, V., & Hou, Y. (2020). Reducing ridesourcing empty vehicle travel with future travel demand prediction. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 121, 102826.
- Kontou, E., & McDonald, N. (2021). Associating Ridesourcing with Road Safety Outcomes: Insights from Austin Texas. PloS one 16 (3), e0248311.
- Guo, S., & Kontou, E. (2021). Disparities and equity issues in electric vehicles rebate allocation. Energy Policy, 154, 112291.
- Liu, S., & Kontou, E. (2022) Transportation Energy Vulnerability and its Spatial Patterns in the United States. Sustainable Cities and Society, 103805.
- Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Editorial Advisory Board (https://www.journals.elsevier.com/transportation-research-part-d-transport-and-environment/editorial-board), since 2022
- Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, Early Career Editorial Advisory Board (https://www.journals.elsevier.com/transportation-research-part-c-emerging-technologies/editorial-board), since 2021
- Chair, Transportation Research Board Young Members Coordinating Council, 2021-2023
- Transportation Research Board Affiliate
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associate Member
- ISEE Levenick Teaching Sustainability Fellow (2020-21)
Recent Courses Taught
- CEE 201 - Systems Engrg & Economics
- CEE 598 UTM (CEE 598 UTO) - Urban Transportation Models