For more information
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, 2018
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Brazil 2012
- BSc, Control and Automation Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Brazil 2010
- Affiliate, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2019 - present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2019 - present
- Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, 2018 - 2019
- Research Assistant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, 2013 - 2018
- Research Assistant, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Brazil, 2011 - 2013
Other Professional Employment
- Mechanical Engineer, GT2 Energy, Brazil, 2013
- Legged and humanoid robots
- Human-Machine Interfaces
- Robot Dynamics and Control
- Mechatronics and Mechanism Design
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. Ramos and S. Kim, “Dynamic locomotion synchronization of bipedal robot and human operator via bilateral feedback teleoperation”, Vol. 4, Issue 35, Science Robotics, 2019.
- J. Ramos and S. Kim, "Humanoid Dynamic Synchronization Through Whole-Body Bilateral Feedback Teleoperation," in IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 953-965, Aug. 2018 (presented at ICRA 2019)
- J. Ramos and S. Kim, "Dynamic Bilateral Teleoperation of the Cart-Pole: A Study Toward the Synchronization of Human Operator and Legged Robot," in IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 3293-3299, Oct. 2018 (presented at IROS 2018).
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Joao Luiz A. S. Ramos, and Marco A. Meggiolaro, “Torque Control of an Active Upper Limb Exoskeleton with Pneumatic Artificial Muscles Using sEMG and a Modified Hill-Type Muscle Model”, 4th National Meeting of Biomechanical Engineering, Vitoria, ES, Brazil, April 25th – 27th, 2013.
- Joao Luiz A. S. Ramos, and Marco A. Meggiolaro, “Use of Surface Electromyography to Control an Active Upper Limb Exoskeleton Actuated by Pneumatic Artificial Muscles and Optimized with Genetic Algorithms”, 22nd International Congress of Mechanical Engineering (COBEM), Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, November 3 – 7, 2013.
- Joao Luiz A. S. Ramos, and Marco A. Meggiolaro, “Use of Surface Electromyography for Human Amplification Using an Exoskeleton Driven by Artificial Pneumatic Muscles”, 5th IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob 2014), Sao Paulo, Brazil, August 12-15, 2014.
- A. Wang, J. Ramos, J. Mayo, W. Ubellacker, J. Cheung and S. Kim, "The HERMES humanoid system: A platform for full-body teleoperation with balance feedback," IEEE-RAS 15th International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), Seoul, 2015, pp. 730-737.
- J. Ramos, A. Wang, W. Ubellacker, J. Mayo and S. Kim, "A balance feedback interface for whole-body teleoperation of a humanoid robot and implementation in the HERMES system," IEEE-RAS 15th International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), Seoul, 2015, pp. 844-850.
- J. Ramos, A. Wang and S. Kim, "A Balance Feedback Human Machine Interface for humanoid teleoperation in dynamic tasks," IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Hamburg, 2015, pp. 4229-4235.
- J. Ramos and S. Kim, "Improving humanoid posture Teleoperation by Dynamic Synchronization through operator motion anticipation," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Singapore, 2017, pp. 5350-5356.
- J. Ramos, B. Katz, M. Y. M. Chuah and S. Kim, "Facilitating Model-Based Control Through Software-Hardware Co-Design," 2018 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Brisbane, QLD, 2018, pp. 566-572.
- J. Ramos, A. Wang and S. Kim, "The brain in the machine: MIT is building robots that use full-body teleoperation to move with greater agility," in IEEE Spectrum, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 22-27, June 2019, doi: 10.1109/MSPEC.2019.8727142.
- IEEE Spectrum "MIT Robot Steals Human Brains to Help it Balance", 2015.
- MIT MechE Connects (cover): "Robotics in the 21st Century - Building Robots for the People", 2015.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent By Their Students (Spring 2021)
- NSF CAREER Award 2021 (03/18/2021)
- National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), full 2-years MSc fellowship (03/10/2011)
- Science without Borders, full 4-years doctorate fellowship (05/14/2013)
- Collins Scholar, Academy for Excellence in Engineering Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), USA, 2019-2020
- Kaufman Teaching Certificate Program, Teaching and Learning Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, 2019
Recent Courses Taught
- ME 371 - Mechanical Design II
- SE 422 (ME 446, ECE 489) - Robot Dynamics and Control