MatSE Biomaterials Curriculum Map Fall 2022
The curriculum sequence mapped below is a sample sequence, as all Grainger Engineering students work with a department academic advisor to achieve their educational goals, specific to their needs and preparation. Before reviewing the maps below, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced in the maps below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
Academic Catalog Year 2022-2023
- Course prerequisite chain
- Immediate prerequisite
- Credit or concurrent registration required
- Concurrent registration required
- Postrequisite course sequence
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year|
Before reviewing the links, students should find their effective Academic Catalog Year. When clicking any links referenced below that take students to the Academic Catalog Year pages, they should be mindful of which Academic Catalog year is displayed.
- MATH 220 may be substituted. MATH 220 is appropriate for students with no background in calculus. 4 of 5 credit hours count towards degree.
- External transfers take ENG 300.
- RHET 105 (or an alternative Composition I sequence) is taken either in the first or second semester of the first year, according to the student's UIN (Spring if UIN is Odd). General Education elective is taken the other semester. Composition I guidelines can be found at Degree and General Education Requirements under Written Communication Requirement.
- Recommended, optional 1 credit course, MSE 183 Freshman Materials Laboratory. Credit hour counts toward free electives.
- General Education: Students must complete the Campus General Education requirements including the campus general education language requirement. MSE 307 and MSE 308 will satisfy technical core requirements and the Campus General Education Advanced Composition requirement.
- Students who take CHEM 232 for 4 hours can count the extra hour as free elective.
- Students in the Biomaterials Area may substitute STAT 400 for IE 300 with permission from the department.
- To be selected from list of topical lecture courses in biomaterials area, approved by the department.
- To be selected from list of topical lecture courses in all other areas, approved by the department.
- Additional coursework, subject to the Grainger College of Engineering restrictions to Free Electives, so that there are at least 128 credit hours earned toward the degree.
- Each section of MSE 404 is 1.5 hours. Students take 2 unique sections of MSE 404 for 3 hours.
The code used to present this flowsheet is based on original work shared by the University at Buffalo School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.