skip to main content

First Year Undeclared

Begin your first year as "Engineering Undeclared"

Need more time to decide on your major? Our First-Year Engineering Undeclared program lets a limited number of students spend a part of their first year exploring the different majors we offer. You’re eligible to pick any engineering major (except Computer Science*), including Agricultural and Biological Engineering and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Students pick a first and second choice major in February of their first year, and by April have their new major and are ready to jump right in.

A couple of important things to know:

  • To help you find your place, you take a class called Engineering 101, which introduces you to all the majors and what they have to offer, and you get top notch advising from The Grainger College of Engineering advisors.
  • The students admitted to this program have looked into all the major options and might be interested in an interdisciplinary field or need more time to explore which major best fits their interests. It’s a selective program, admitting only about 100 students a year.


I can’t decide between two engineering majors. Should I request the Undeclared option?

Students who have narrowed down their selection to two engineering majors are advised to list one of the majors as their first choice and the other as their second choice. By carefully choosing classes in consultation with an advisor, a student can keep their options open to transfer to a different engineering major at the end of their first year.

What’s a good second-choice major, if my first choice is Undeclared?

The second-choice major should be carefully chosen and reflect the student’s career interests at application time. Some students who list Undeclared as their first choice may be admitted to their second-choice option, depending on demand.

What classes would I take in my first year in the Undeclared Program?

First-Year Engineering Undeclared students will take a regular set of foundational courses common to many engineering majors, plus at least one (and possibly two) “gateway” courses. Foundational courses include Calculus (2 semesters), Chemistry (1 or 2 semesters), Physics (1 semester) and Rhetoric (1 semester). Students with AP credit may skip one or more of these courses and move ahead to other courses. Undeclared students are required to take Engineering 101, a one-hour course that provides an overview of all of the engineering majors.

Gateway courses are technical subjects that provide an entry point to one or two specific majors. These courses provide a way to “sample” a major, and they are often a required course in that major. If you eventually choose a different major, the gateway course often counts toward a requirement in that major. Examples of gateway courses are ECE 110 (for electrical and/or computer engineering) and SE 101 or ME 170 (for mechanical, civil, general, and industrial engineering). All classes will be chosen in consultation with an engineering advisor.

If I’m in First Year Engineering: Undeclared, will the grades I earn my first year influence the choices I have for a major?

Students in the Undeclared option must be in good academic standing (minimum GPA of 2.0) in order to declare a major during the spring of their first year. They also need to have taken the classes needed to qualify for their majors of interest. We will try to honor Undeclared students’ requests for placement within the engineering majors. However, we cannot guarantee that every student in the Undeclared option will be placed in their first-choice major, because of high demand for some majors. Earning high grades may make it easier for you to get into a high-demand major.

Students who are not in good academic standing (GPA < 2.0) will be individually advised by the college staff, with decisions about their next steps made on a case-by-case basis.

What’s the difference between being in Undeclared and just switching majors at the end of the first year?

Good question! Both types of students are able to start their second year in a new engineering major, but there are some differences. Read carefully, and make a choice that is good for you.

First-year engineering students in the Undeclared option will be advised in ways that keep as many options open as possible, even before they select a major. We are not able to guarantee that every Undeclared first year student in good academic standing can have their first choice of major, but Undeclared students who request a major by March 1 in their first year will have priority over other first year students who are transferring between majors. (The March decision date makes it easy to pre-register for fall-semester courses appropriate for the new major).

Students who begin in a specific major are assured from the time of admission that they have a seat in that major. They automatically retain that seat as long as they stay in good academic standing. These students are welcome to explore other majors during their first year, for instance by taking Engineering 101 or by taking the gateway course for another major. Students who wish to transfer from one major to another should discuss their plans with a college advisor in 206 Engineering Hall as soon as possible during their first year. Requests from first-year students to change majors within The Grainger College of Engineering will be acted on starting in early April.

How can I get from Undeclared to Computer Science?

Students in Engineering Undeclared cannot select Computer Science as a major during their enrollment in the Engineering Undeclared program*. All students in the Undeclared program, however, do move into a major by the start of the student’s third semester. This means that students starting in Engineering Undeclared who are interested in Computer Science as a major, must move first to another engineering major, and then, if their interest continues, apply to Computer Science through the regular “ICT/IDT” transfer process. This would usually occur during the student’s third or fourth semester.

What if I realize engineering is not for me?

Engineering Undeclared students who decide to transfer out of The Grainger College of Engineering follow “ICT/IDT” transfer rules for their intended major.

* Effective for students entering after Fall 2020.