Enable our People to Achieve their Full Potential
Investing in the continual development, growth and excellence of our faculty, staff, postdocs and students.
Our greatest asset is our people. We must continue to invest in our community of faculty (tenure track and specialized), staff, postdocs and students through coordinated professional development efforts. Given the current demographics of the College and growth of faculty and staff at lower ranks, this issue will be very important in the coming years. We will:
- Offer professional development opportunities to our faculty to be leaders in research, teaching, administration, service and inclusion
- Develop approaches to grow the skills of staff in financial and operational areas
- Provide professional development opportunities for our students and post-doctoral fellows for careers in academia, industry and entrepreneurship
The development of a strong culture of mentorship and professional development will allow us to recruit the best available talent, develop their skills as individuals, and build a pipeline of leaders to succeed them as they grow. Because of our efforts, we expect to observe strong levels of mentorship, retention and satisfaction across all our faculty and staff. We look to have our students and postdocs confidently accept highly fulfilling careers opportunities and see them excel in those careers. Fully developing the potential of our people is the only way to achieve our overall goals of excellence and impact. Just as the Collins Scholars in teaching and Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Academy in developing future faculty have garnered a reputation for their effectiveness in delivering excellence, we should seek to develop programs in other areas and for other stakeholders that are critical to the success of the College including specialized faculty, staff, etc.
Beyond creating a leadership position in the college in the first year to coordinate and develop all professional development, this strategic direction encompasses five major initiatives:
- Nurturing a healthy community
- Creating faculty development opportunities for well-rounded competency in education, research leadership and administration
- Creating professional development and advancement opportunities for staff
- Developing postdoc training for enhanced productivity, academic placement and career advancement
- Fostering student development