For more information
- Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2008-2012), Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, the University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA. Mentor: Prof. Stanislav Emelianov
- Certification in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (2009-2012), Graduate Portfolio Program, Center for Nano- and Molecular Science, the University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2014-2018), Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, CA, USA. Mentor: Prof. Sanjiv Sam Gambhir
- Research Assistant Professor (2019- 2021), Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Bioengineering (by courtesy), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
- Assistant Professor (2021-Present), Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Bioimaging at Multi-Scale
- Electronics, Plasmonics, and Photonics
- Medical imaging
- Nanomedicine and bio-nanotechnology
Selected Articles in Journals
- Y.-S. Chen*, Y. Zhao, C. Beinat, A. Zlitni, E.-C. Hsu, D.-H. Chen, H. Wang, T. Stoyanova, J. A. Dionne, and S. S. Gambhir*, "Ultra-high-frequency-radio-frequency-acoustic molecular imaging with saline nanodroplets in living subjects", Nature Nanotechnology, 2021.
- G. Song, M. Kenney, Y.-S. Chen, X. Zheng, Y. Deng, S. X. Wang, S. S. Gambhir, H. Dai, J. Rao, "Iron-cobalt Nanoalloy for Magnetic Particle Imaging and Photo/Magneto Hyperthermia Cancer Therapy", Nature Bioengineering, 2020, 4, 325â€“334.
- Y.-S. Chen, Y. Zhao, S. Yoon, S. Emelianov, S. S. Gambhir, "Miniature gold nanorods for photoacoustic molecular imaging in the second near-infrared optical window", Nature Nanotechnology, 2019, 14, 465-472.
- K. Shahbazi, W. Frey, Y.-S. Chen, S. Aglyamov, and S. Emelianov, "Photoacoustics of core-shell nanospheres: signal composition and the role of interfacial conductance and laser pulse waveform", Nature Publishing Group: Communications Physics, 2019, 2, 119.
- Y.-S. Chen, S. Yoon, W. Frey, M. Dockery, S. Emelianov, "Dynamic contrast-enhanced photoacoustic imaging using photothermal stimuli-responsive composite nanoamplifiers", Nature Communications, 2017, 8, 15782.
- Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Aglyamov, C. Walker, and S. Emelianov, "Sensitivity enhanced nanothermal sensors for photoacoustic temperature mapping", Journal of Biophotonics, 2013, 6(6-7), 534-542. (Cover Article)
- Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Aglyamov, and S. Emelianov, "Environment-dependent generation of photoacoustic waves from plasmonic nanoparticles", Small, 2012, 8, 47-52.
- Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Kim, P. Kruizinga, K. Homan, and S. Emelianov, "Silica-coated gold nanorods as photoacoustic signal nano-amplifiers", Nano Letters, 2011, 11(2), 348-354.
- Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, S. Kim, K. Homan, P. Kruizinga, K. Sokolov, S. Emelianov, "Enhanced thermal stability of silica-coated gold nanorods for photoacoustic imaging and image-guided therapy", Optics Express, 2010, 18(9), 8867-8878.
- Y.-S. Chen, Y. Zhao, A. Hosseini, D. Kwong, R. T. Chen, "Delay time enhanced flat band photonic crystal waveguides with capsule-shaped holes on silicon nanomembrane", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 2009, 15(5), 1510-1514.
- Y.-S. Chen, A. Tal, and S. M. Kuebler, "Route to three-dimensional metallized microstructures using cross linkable epoxide SU-8", Chemistry of Materials, 2007, 19(16), 3858-3860.
- Y.-S. Chen, A. Tal, D. B. Torrance, S. M. Kuebler, "Fabrication and characterization of three-dimensional silver-coated polymeric microstructures", Advanced Functional Materials, 2006, 16(13), 1739-1744. (Cover Article)
- S. Emelianov, B. Wang, J. Shah, K. Sokolov, J. Su, Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, "Temperature dependent photoacoustic imaging", U.S. Patent 20120125107 A1, (2012).
- S. Emelianov, J. Su, B. Wang, A. Karpiouk, Y.-S. Chen, W. Frey, R. Bouchard, "Combined ultrasound and photoacoustic imaging of metal objects", U.S. Patent 20,120,253,180, (2012).
- JumpARCHES fund (2020)
- Google Faculty Research Award (2020)
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 110 - Introduction to Electronics
- ECE 329 - Fields and Waves I
- ECE 467 (BIOE 467) - Biophotonics