Salah F. Issa
- Assistant Professor
360 J Agricultural Engr Sciences Bld
- Ph.D. in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, 2016
- M.S.E. in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, 2012
- B.S. in Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University, 2006
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Agricultural & Industrial Safety and Health, Jan 2020 - Present
- Dr. Issa's research is focused on injury prevention through predictive algorithms, evaluating new technologies and implementing technologies that reduce or remove hazards. Recognizing that agriculture ranks among the deadliest occupations with injury rates remaining fairly stable since 1990's, he is exploring new strategies in training, and prevention. One of his focus areas is in testing solutions to handle out of condition issues facing grain handling and storage industry with the aim or reducing grain entrapments. His extension program focuses on agricultural injury trends in Illinois and promoting a culture of safety among Illinois farmers and workers.
Selected Articles in Journals
- S.F. Issa, K. Patrick, S. Thomson, & B. Rein. (2019). Estimating the number of agricultural fatal injuries prevented by agricultural engineering developments in the United States. Safety 5(4), 63
- S. F. Issa, C. Wassgren, C.V. Schwab, R. Stroshine & W. E. Field. (2018). Estimating Passive Stress Acting on a Grain Entrapment Victimâ€™s Chest. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 24(3).
- Y.H. Cheng, W.E. Field, S.F. Issa, K. Kelley, M. Heber, & R. Turner. (2018). Summary of U.S. Injuries and Fatalities Involving Entrapment and Suffocation in Grain Transport Vehicles. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 24(2).
- S.F. Issa, M.M. Nour, & W.E. Field. (2018). Utilization And Effectiveness of Harnesses/Lifelines in Grain Entrapment Incidents: Preliminary Analysis. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 24(2).
- S. F. Issa & W. E. Field. (2017). Determining the Pull-Forces Required to Extricate a Victim Entrapped at Various Angles in a Grain Mass. Safety v3(1).
- S. F. Issa, W. E. Field, C.V. Schwab, F.S. Issa, & E. Nauman. (2017). Contributing Causes of Injury or Death in Grain Entrapment, Engulfment and Extrication. Journal of Agromedicine v22 (2).
- S. F. Issa, Y. H. Cheng, & W. E. Field. (2016). Summary of Agricultural Confined-Space Related Cases: 1964-2013. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health v22 (1).
- S. F. Issa, W. E. Field, K. E. Hamm, Y.-H. Cheng, M. J. Roberts, & S. M. Riedel. (2016). Summarization of Injury and Fatality Factors Involving Children and Youth in Grain Storage and Handling Incidents. Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health v22 (1).
- S. Issa, H. Mohammad, & M.I. Sarfaz. (2015). â€œRestaurant hope: Engineering a choice-based service initiative to address hunger. Purdue Journal of Service-Leaning and International Engagement vol 2.
- ASABE Superior Paper Award (2019)
- Purdue Agricultural Teamwork Award aka TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More) (2017)
- ASABE Educational Aids Blue Ribbon Website (2018)
Recent Courses Taught
- ABE 498 SFI - SAF & COMM IMP OF A.I. IN AG
- ABE 594 - Graduate Seminar
- ETMA 421 (TSM 421) - Ag Safety-Injury Prevention
- ETMA 422 (TSM 422) - Ag Health-Illnesses Prevention
- ETMA 594 - Graduate Seminar
- TSM 425 (ETMA 425) - Managing Ind & Ag Safety Risks