For more information
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2013
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2010
- B.S. Environmental Engineering, University of California, Riverside, 2005
Roland Cusick earned his B.S. in Environmental Engineering from the University of California, Riverside (2005), and holds an M.S. (2010) and Ph.D. (2013) in Environmental Engineering, both from the Pennsylvania State University. His honors include receiving the W. Wesley Eckenfelder Graduate Research Award from the American Association of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (2013), the Penn State Alumni Association Dissertation Award (2013), and the Dow Sustainability Student Challenge Award (2012).
Dr. Cusick teaches CEE 443 Environmental Engineering Principles, Chemical and CEE 437, Water Quality Engineering
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013-present
Major Consulting Activities
- Island Water Technology, Prince Edward Island, Canada, 2014 - present: Consult on R&D of a bioactivity sensor for autonomous wastewater treatment systems
- Aquapod, Calgary, Ontario, Canada, 2013 - present: Serve on scientific advisory board for advanced treatment septic system development
- Cambrian Innovation, Cambridge, MA, 2011: State of the art survey of high rate anaerobic digestion systems.
- Envinity, State College, PA, 2010: Energy and economic assessment of MSW co-digestion and CHP at Williamsport wastewater treatment plant.
- Engineer in Training, California, 2005
Dr. Cusick has research interests in resource recovery from waste streams and the development of novel technologies for sustainable water and wastewater treatment. His primary research areas include electrochemical separations with energy storage materials as well as nutrient and energy recovery from wastewater.
- Process modeling
- Biological wastewater treatment
- Microbial electrochemical technologies
- Resource recovery from wastewater
- Capacitive deionization
- Electrochemical pollutant removal
- Chemical Phosphorus Recovery
Selected Articles in Journals
- Cusick, R. D.; Bryan, B.; Parker, D.S.; Merrill, M.D.; Mehanna, M.; Kiely, P.D.; Liu, G.; Logan, B.E. (2011). Performance of a pilot-scale continuous flow microbial electrolysis cell fed winery wastewater. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 89(6): 2053-2063.
- Cusick, R. D.; Kim, Y.; Logan, B. E. (2012). Energy capture from thermolytic solutions in microbial reverse-electrodialysis cells. Science 335(6075): 1474-1477.
- Yates, M. D.; Cusick, R.D.; Logan, B.E. (2013). Extracellular palladium nanoparticle production using Geobacter sulfurreducens. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 1 (9), 1165-1171.
- Cusick, R.D.;, Hatzell, M.C.; Zhang, F.; Logan, B.E. (2013). Minimal RED cell pairs markedly improve electrode kinetics and power production in microbial reverse electrodialysis cells. Environmental Science & Technology, 47(24), 14518-14524
- Hatzell, M.C.; Cusick, R.D.; Logan, B.E. (2014). Capacitive mixing power production form salinity gradient energy enhanced through exoelectrogen-generated ionic currents. Energy & Environmental Science, 7, 1159-1165.
- Hatzell, M.C.; Ivanov, I.; Cusick, R.D.; Zhu, X.; Logan, B.E. (2014). Comparison of hydrogen production and electrical power generation for energy capture in closed-Loop ammonium bicarbonate reverse electrodialysis systems. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16(4), 1632–38.
- Cusick, R. D.; Ullery, M. L.; Dempsey, B. A.; Logan, B.E. (2014). Electrochemical struvite precipitation from digestate with a fluidized bed cathode microbial electrolysis cell. Water Research, 54, 297-306.
- Shoener, B.D.; Bradley, I.M.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. Energy positive domestic wastewater treatment: The roles of anaerobic and phototrophic technologies. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 2014, 16(6): 1204-1222.
- Yates, M.D.; Cusick, R.D.; Ivanov, I.; Logan, B.E. (2014). Exoelectrogenic biofilm as a template for sustainable formation of a catalytic mesoporous structure. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 111 (11), 2349-2354
- Trimmer, J.T.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. Amplifying progress toward multiple development goals through resource recovery from sanitation. Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51(18): 10765-10776.
- Hand, S.; Cusick, R.D. (2017). Characterizing the Impacts of Deposition Techniques on the Performance of MnO2 Cathodes for Sodium Electrosorption in Hybrid Capacitive Deionization. Environmental Science & Technology, 51 (20), 12027-12034.
- Shang, X.; Cusick, R.D.; Smith, K. C. (2017). A combined modeling and experimental study assessing the impact of fluid pulsation on charge and energy efficiency in capacitive deionization. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 161 (14), E536-E547.
- Agrawal, S.; Guest, J.S.; Cusick, R. D. (2018). Elucidating the impacts of initial supersaturation and seed crystal loading on struvite precipitation kinetics, fines production, and crystal growth. Water Research, 132, 252-259.
- Kim, M., del Cerro, M., Hand, S.; Cusick, R.D. (2019). Enhancing capacitive deionization performance with charged structural polysaccharide electrode binders. Water Research, 148, 388 - 397.
- Junjea, A.; Sharma, N.; Cusick, R. D.; Singh, V. (2019). Techno-economic Feasibility of Phosphorus Recovery as a Coproduct from Corn Wet Milling Plants. Cereal Chemistry, 96 (2), 380-390.
- Bhat, A. P..; Reale, E. R.; del Cerro, M.; Smith, K.C.; Cusick, R.D. (2019). Reducing Impedance to Ionic Flux in Capacitive Deionization with Bi-tortuous Activated Carbon Electrodes Coated with Asymmetrically Charged Polyelectrolytes. Water Research X, 100027
- Hand, S.; Shang, X.; Guest, J.S.; Smith, K.C.; Cusick, R.D. (2019) Global sensitivity analysis to characterize operational limits and prioritize performance goals of capacitive deionization technologies. Environmental Science & Technology, 53 (7): 3748-3756.
- Trimmer, J.T.; Margenot, A.J.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. (2019) Aligning product chemistry and soil context for agronomic reuse of human-derived resources. Environmental Science & Technology, 53 (11), 6501-6510.
- Margenot, A. J., Kitt, D.; Gramig, B. M.; Berkshire, T. B.; Chatterjee, N.; Hertzberger, A. J.; Aguiar, S.; Furneaux, A.; Sharma, N.; Cusick, R.D. (2019) Toward a regional phosphorus (re)cycle in the U.S. Midwest, Journal of Environmental Quality, 48 (5), 1397-1413.
- Hand, S.; Guest, J. S.; Cusick, R.D. (2019) Technoeconomic Analysis of Brackish Water Capacitive Deionization: Navigating Tradeoffs Between Performance, Lifetime, and Material Costs. Environmental Science & Technology, 53 (22), 13353-13363.
- Aguiar, S.; Sharma, N.; Yang, L.; Zhang, M.; Singh, V.; Cusick, R.D. (2020) Phosphorus fractionation and protein content control chemical phosphorus removal from corn biorefinery streams. Journal of Environmental Quality, 49 (1), 220-227.
- Hand, S.; Cusick, R.D. (2020) Emerging Investigator Series: Capacitive Deionization for Selective Removal of Nitrate and Perchlorate: Impacts of Ion Selectivity and Operating Constraints on Treatment Costs. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (Cover Article) 6 (4), 925-934.
- Junjea, A.; Cusick, R. D.; Singh, V. (2020) Recovering Phosphorus as a Coproduct from Corn Dry Grind Plants: A Techno-economic Evaluation. Cereal Chemistry, 97 (2), 449-458.
- Hertzberger, A. J.; Cusick, R. D.; Margenot, A. J. (2020) Agricultural potential of struvite as a phosphorus fertilizer: a review, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 84 (3), 653-671
- Lohman, H.A.C.; Trimmer, J.T.; Katende, D.; Mubasira, M.; Nagirinya, M.; Nsereko, F.; Banadda, N.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. (2020) Advancing sustainable sanitation and agriculture through investments in human-derived nutrient systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 54 (15), 9217-9227
- Recovering phosphorus from corn ethanol waste, Chemical & Engineering News, March 26, 2018
- Giving wastewater the power to clean itself, Nature News, March 1 2012
- Hybrid energy technology could treat wastewater for free, IEEE Spectrun, March 1, 2012
- Member, American Chemical Society
- International Society for Microbial Electrochemistry and Technology, Organization Newsletter, 2012-2014
- Member, Electrochemical Society
- Member, Water Environment Federation
- Demographics Committee Member 2020-present, MS Thesis Award Committee 2021, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors
Service on Department Committees
- Environmental Engineering and Science Admissions and Fellowship Committee
- Energy-Water-Environment Sustainability Admission and Fellowship Committee
- Environmental Engineering and Science Governance Committee
- CEE 437 - Water Quality Engineering
- CEE 443 - Env Eng Principles, Chemical
- CEE 595 - Adv Environmental Engr Seminar
- CEE 595 - Environmental Engr Seminar