Matthew D Goodman
210 Ceramics Building
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Materials Science and Engineering, 2014
- M.S., Iowa State University, Materials Science and Engineering, 2009
- B.S., summa cum laude, Iowa State Univeristy, Materials Science and Engineering, 2009
- Lecturer, University of Illinois, Materials Science and Engineering, 2014-present
- MSE 395 - Senior Design
- Developed 2-semester senior design curriculum incorporating Human Centered Design and KEEN's Entrepreneurial Mindset Framework
- Engineering Education
- K-12 Engineering Outreach
- Unique Templating of Materials
- Energy Storage
- Energy Harvesting
Chapters in Books
- J. Wang, L. Zhao, M. Goodman, and Z. Lin, Semiconducting nanostructures for new energy generating and novel bio-detecting. Encyclopedia of semiconductor nanotechnology, American Scientific Publishers (2011).
Selected Articles in Journals
- K. Kang, M. Goodman, J. Krogstad, D. Trinkle, P. Huang, A. Schleife, Integration of materials visualization with a materials database in a Materials Science and Engineering freshman course, ASEE Annual Conference 2021
- K. Kang, M.D. Goodman, J.A. Krogstad, C. Leal, P.Y. Huang, A. Schleife, Incorporating the Use of a Materials Database into a Materials Science and Engineering Freshman Course, ASEE Annual Conference 2021
- Choi, H. H., & Chen, Y. W., & Beckman, A. M., & Anderson, L., & Johnson, B. E., & Goodman, M. D., & Migotsky, C., & Johnson-Glauch, N. (2018, June), Integrative Engineering Leadership Initiative for Teaching Excellence (iELITE) Paper presented at 2018 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- K.W. Tan, J. Werner, M. Goodman, H.S. Kim, B. Jung, H. Sai, P.V. Braun, M. Thompson and U. Wiesner, Synthesis and Formation Mechanism of All-Organic Block Copolymer-Directed Templating of Laser-Induced Crystalline Silicon Nanostructures, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10, 42777-42785 (2018). DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b12706
- J. Liu, Q. Zheng, M.D. Goodman, H. Zhu, J. Kim, N.A. Krueger, H. Ning, X. Huang, J. Liu, M. Terrones and P.V. Braun, Graphene Sandwiched Mesostructured Li-Ion Battery Electrodes, Advanced Materials, 28, 7696-7702 (2016). DOI: 10.1002/adma.201600829
- S.-K. Kim, E. Jung, M.D. Goodman, K.S. Schweizer, N. Tatsuda, K. Yano and P.V. Braun, Self-Assembly of Monodisperse Starburst Carbon Spheres into Hierarchically Organized Nanostructured Supercapacitor Electrodes, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7, 9128-9133 (2015).
- M.D. Goodman, S. Kim, N. Tatsuda, K. Yano and P.V. Braun, Enhanced secondary battery anodes based on Si and Fe3O4 nanoparticle infill monodisperse carbon starburst colloidal crystals, Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, 32, 928-933 (2015).
- J. Liu, N. Li, M. Goodman, H. Zhang, E. Epstein, B. Huang, Z. Pan, J. Kim, J.H. Choi, X.-J. Huang, J. liu, K. Hsia, S. Dillon and P.V. Braun, Mechanically and Chemically Robust Sandwich-Structured C@Si@C Nanotube Array Li-ion Battery Anodes, ACS Nano, 9, 1985-1994 (2015).
- M. Goodman, K. Arpin, A. Mihi, N. Tatsuda, K. Yano, P. Braun, Enabling New Classes of Templated Materials through Mesoporous Carbon Colloidal Crystals, Adv. Optical Mat. (2013) 1, 300.
- K. Schlichting, T. M. Copeland-Johnson, M. Goodman, R. J. Lipert, T. O. McKinley, Z. Lin, J. A. Martin, T. Prozorov, X. Liu, S. Mallapragada, Synthesis of a novel photopolymerized nanocomposite hydrogel for treatment of acute mechanical damage to cartilage, Acta Biomaterialia, (2011) 7, 3094.
- M. Goodman, L. Zhao, K. DeRocher, J. Wang, S. Mallapragada, Z. Lin, Self-Assembly of CdTe Tetrapods into Network Mono layers at the Air/Water Interface, ACS Nano (2010) 4, 2043.
- L. Zhao, M. Goodman, N. Bowden, Z. Lin, Self-assembly of an ultra-high-molecular-weight comb block copolymer at the air-water interface, Soft Matter (2009) 5, 4698.
- M. Goodman, J. Xu, J. Wang, Z. Lin, Semiconductor conjugated polymer quantum dot nanocomposites at the air/water interface and their photovoltaic performance. Chemistry of Materials (2009) 21, 934.
- “Method for Forming Carbon Opal Templates and Their Use in Forming Inverse Opals,” issued Tuesday October 16, 2018, patent number 10,099,965.
- “High Surface Area Carbon Opals and Inverse Opals Obtained Therefrom,” issued Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, patent number 9,643,894
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Materials Research Society
Service on Campus Committees
- Faculty Senate (Fall 2015-present)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Fall 2021 (2022)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Fall 2019 (2020)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Summer 2018 (2018)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Summer 2017 (2017)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Fall 2016 (2017)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for Fall 2015 (2016)
- Collins Scholar, College of Engineering, University of Illinois (2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- CS 591 TA - Advanced Seminar
- ENG 198 IEF - IEFX Research
- ENG 598 TL (ENG 598 TL2) - Teaching and Leadership 2
- MSE 101 - Materials in Today's World
- MSE 206 - Mechanics for MatSE
- MSE 280 A (MSE 280 B) - Engineering Materials
- MSE 395 (MSE 495) - Materials Design
- MSE 398 A - Materials Design Thinking
- MSE 494 - Materials Design Thinking