For more information
- Stony Brook University PhD 1996 Theoretical statistical physics
- 2015- Full Professor and Bliss Faculty Scholar at the Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (100%)
- 2015- Full Professor and Bliss Faculty Scholar at the Department of Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (0%)
- Big Data
- Biomolecular modeling
- Cancer biology
- Cancer genomics
- Complex system modeling
- Computational biology and biomedicine
- Computational evolutionary and systems biology
- Dynamics of complex biomolecular networks
- Gene regulation
- Gene regulatory networks in bacteria
- Genomics of bacteria and their communities
- Neural modeling
- Noise biology
- Polymer mechanics
- Quantitative biology
- Statistical learning
- Systems biology
- Theoretical biological physics
- Computational and Systems Biology
Chapters in Books
- Maslov, S., Sneppen, K., and Alon, U. (2003). Correlation Profiles and Circuit Motifs in Complex Networks, an invited book chapter in the "Handbook of Graphs and Networks", S. Bornholdt, and H.-G. Schuster, (eds.), Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wang Z, Goyal A, Dubinkina V, George AB, Wang T, Fridman Y, Maslov S. Complementary resource preferences spontaneously emerge in diauxic microbial communities. bioRxiv. 2021 March 16.
- Tkachenko AV, Maslov S, Wang T, Elbanna A, Wong GN, Goldenfeld N. How dynamic social activity shapes an epidemic: waves, plateaus, and endemic state. arXiv preprint arXiv:2101.12275. 2021 Jan 28.
- King WP, Amos J, Azer M, Baker D, Bashir R, Best C, Bethke E, Boppart SA, Bralts E, Corey RM, Dietkus R. Durack, Gary, Elbel, Stefan, Elliott, Greg, Fava, Jake, Goldenfeld, Nigel, Goldstein, Molly H., Hayes, Courtney, Herndon, Nicole, Jamison, Shandra, Johnson, Blake, Johnson, Harley, Johnson, Mark, Kolaczynski, John, Lee, Tonghun, Maslov, Sergei, McGregor, Davis J., Milner, Derek, Moller, Ralf, Mosley, Jonathan, Musser, Andy, Newberger, Max, Null, David, O’Bryan, Lucas, Oelze, Michael, O’Leary, Jerry, Pagano, Alex, Philpott, Michael, Pianfetti, Brian, Pille, Alex, Pizzuto, Luca, Ricconi, Brian, Rubessa, Marcello, Rylowicz, Sam, Shipley, Clifford, Singer, Andrew C., Stewart, Brian, Switzky, Rachel, Tawfick, Sameh, Wheeler, Matthew, White, Karen, Widloski, Evan M., Wood, Eric, Wood, Charles and Wooldridge, Abigail R. Emergency ventilator for COVID-19. PLoS One. 2020 Dec 30;15(12):e0244963.
- Tkachenko AV, Maslov S, Elbanna A, Wong GN, Weiner ZJ, Goldenfeld N. Time-dependent heterogeneity leads to transient suppression of the COVID-19 epidemic, not herd immunity. medRxiv. 2020 July 19:2020-07. PNAS accepted for publication.
- Wong GN, Weiner ZJ, Tkachenko AV, Elbanna A, Maslov S, Goldenfeld N. Modeling COVID-19 dynamics in Illinois under nonpharmaceutical interventions. Physical Review X. 2020 Nov 16;10(4):041033
- Kudella PW, Tkachenko AV, Salditt A, Maslov S, Braun D. Structured sequences emerge from random pool when replicated by templated ligation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2021 Feb 23;118(8). https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2018830118
- Goyal, A., Wang, T., Dubinkina, V. , Maslov S. Ecology-guided prediction of cross-feeding interactions in the human gut microbiome. Nat Commun 12, 1335 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-21586-6
- Tkachenko AV & Maslov S (2015) Spontaneous emergence of autocatalytic information-coding polymers. J Chem Phys 143(4):045102.
- Maslov S & Sneppen K (2015) Well-temperate phage: optimal bet-hedging against local environmental collapses. Sci Rep 5:10523.
- Maslov S & Sneppen K (2015) Diversity Waves in Collapse-Driven Population Dynamics. PLoS Comput Biol 11(9):e1004440.
- Dixit PD, Pang TY, Studier FW, & Maslov S (2015) Recombinant transfer in the basic genome of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112(29):9070-9075.
- Pang TY & Maslov S (2013) Universal distribution of component frequencies in biological and technological systems. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 110(15):6235-6239.
- Dixit PD & Maslov S (2013) Evolutionary Capacitance and Control of Protein Stability in Protein-Protein Interaction Networks. PLoS Computational Biology 9(4).
- Grilli J, Bassetti B, Maslov S, & Lagomarsino MC (2012) Joint scaling laws in functional and evolutionary categories in prokaryotic genomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 40(2):530-540.
- Heo M, Maslov S, & Shakhnovich E (2011) Topology of protein interaction network shapes protein abundances and strengths of their functional and nonspecific interactions. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A.:4258-4263.
- Studier FW, Daegelen P, Lenski RE, Maslov S, & Kim JF (2009) Understanding the differences between genome sequences of Escherichia coli B strains REL606 and BL21(DE3) and comparison of the E. coli B and K-12 genomes. Journal of molecular biology 394(4):653-680.
- Maslov S, Krishna S, Pang TY, & Sneppen K (2009) Toolbox model of evolution of prokaryotic metabolic networks and their regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106(24):9743-9748.
- Maslov S & Sneppen K (2002) Specificity and stability in topology of protein networks. Science 296(5569):910-913.
- Onset of Natural Selection in Autocatalytic Polymers
- What’s love got to do with it? Stable marriage and networks in microbial ecosystems
- Computational modeling of the COVID-19 epidemic in the State of Illinois and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Service on Department Committees
- Graduate Executive Committee 2020-present
- American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) fellow (2021)
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 310 - Comp Tools Bio Data
- BIOE 497 SM - Individual Study
- BIOE 505 (CSE 505) - Computational Bioengineering
- BIOE 582 - Stats & Algo in Genomic Bio