Gregory H Underhill
For more information
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University
- Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2019-present
- Associate Head of Graduate Programs, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1/2020-present
- Interim Associate Head of Undergraduate Programs, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2019-1/2020
- Core Faculty, Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2019-present
- Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 3/2012-8/2019
- Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 11/2011-2019
BIOE 476, Tissue Engineering; BIOE 498/598, Stem Cell Bioengineering; BIOE 298, Analytical Tools for Bioengineering
- Liver tissue engineering, liver development, cancer microenvironments
- Tissue engineering, stem cell differentiation, microfabrication, biomaterials, high-throughput analysis
- Engineered tissue tolerance
- High-throughput analysis
- Liver development
- Liver-blood interactions
- Stem cell differentiation
- Tumor microenvironments
- Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering
Selected Articles in Journals
- Gapinske M, Tague N, Winter J, Underhill GH, Perez-Pinera P. Targeted gene knockout using nuclease-assisted vector integration: hemi- and homozygous deletion of JAG1. Methods Mol Biol, 1772, 233-248, 2018.
- Underhill GH*, Khetani SR*. Bioengineered liver models for drug testing and cell differentiation studies. Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 5, 426-439, 2018. *Co-corresponding authors.
- Andresen Eguiluz RC, Kaylan KB, Underhill GH, Leckband DE. Substrate stiffness and VE-cadherin mechano-transduction coordinate to regulate endothelial monolayer integrity. Biomaterials, 140, 45-57, 2017.
- Kaylan KB, Kourouklis AP, Underhill GH. A high-throughput cell microarray platform for correlative analysis of cell differentiation and traction forces. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 121, 2017.
- Kourouklis AP, Kaylan KB, Underhill GH. Substrate stiffness and matrix composition coordinately control the differentiation of liver progenitor cells. Biomaterials, 99, 82-94, 2016.
- Kaylan KB, Ermilova V, Yada RC, Underhill GH. Combinatorial microenvironmental regulation of liver progenitor differentiation by Notch ligands, TGFbeta, and extracellular matrix. Scientific Reports, 6, 23490, 2016.
- Kaylan KB, Gentile SD, Milling LE, Bhinge KN, Kosari F, Underhill GH. Mapping lung tumor cell drug responses as a function of matrix context and genotype using cell microarrays. Integrative Biology, 8, 1221-1231, 2016.
- Braga Malta DF, Reticker-Flynn NE, Lobato da Silva C, Cabral J, Zaret KS, Bhatia SN, Underhill GH. Extracellular matrix microarrays to study inductive signaling for endoderm specification. Acta Biomaterialia, 34, 30-40, 2016.
- Bhatia SN, Underhill GH, Zaret KS, Fox IJ. Cell and tissue engineering for liver disease. Sci Trans Med, 6, 245sr2, 2014. Featured on journal cover.
- Reticker-Flynn NE, Braga-Malta DF, Winslow WM, Lamar JM, Xu MJ, Underhill GH, Hynes RO, Jacks TE, Bhatia SN. A combinatorial extracellular matrix screen identifies cell-ECM interactions that correlate with metastasis. Nat. Commun, 3, 1122, 2012.
- Underhill GH. Stem cell bioengineering at the interface of systems-based models and high-throughput platforms. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med, 2012.
- Underhill GH, Galie P, Chen CS, Bhatia SN. Bioengineering methods for analysis of cells in vitro. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol, 28, 385-410, 2012.
- Chen AA*, Underhill GH*, Bhatia SN. Multiplexed, high-throughput analysis of 3D microtissue suspensions. Integrative Biology, 2, 517-527, 2010. *Authors contributed equally. Featured on journal cover.
- Albrecht DR*, Underhill GH*, Resnikoff J, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN, Shah JV. Microfluidics-integrated time-lapse imaging for analysis of cellular dynamics. Integrative Biology, 2, 278-287, 2010. *Authors contributed equally.
- March S, Hui EE, Underhill GH, Khetani, S, Bhatia SN. Microenvironmental regulation of the sinusoidal endothelial cell phenotype in vitro. Hepatology, 50, 920-928, 2009.
- Underhill GH, Bhatia SN. High-throughput analysis of signals regulating stem cell fate and function. Curr Opin Chem Biol, 11, 357-66, 2007.
- Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN. Multiphase electropatterning of cells and biomaterials. Lab Chip, 7, 702-9, 2007.
- Underhill GH*, Chen AA*, Albrecht DR, Bhatia SN. Assessment of hepatocellular function within PEG hydrogels. Biomaterials, 28, 256-70, 2006. *Authors contributed equally.
- Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Wassermann TB, Sah RL, Bhatia SN. Probing the role of multicellular organization in three-dimensional microenvironments. Nat Methods, 3, 369-75, 2006.
- Underhill GH*, Zisoulis DG*, Kolli KP, Ellies LG, Marth JD, Kansas GS. A crucial role for T-bet in selectin ligand expression in T helper 1 (Th1) cells. Blood, 106, 3867-73, 2005. *Authors contributed equally.
- Underhill GH, Kolli KP, Kansas GS. Complexity within the plasma cell compartment of mice deficient in both E- and P-selectin: implications for plasma cell differentiation. Blood, 102, 4076-83, 2003.
- Underhill GH, George D, Bremer EG, Kansas GS. Gene expression profiling reveals a highly specialized genetic program of plasma cells. Blood, 101, 4013-21, 2003.
- Ellies LG, Sperandio M, Underhill GH, Yousif J, Smith M, Priatel JJ, Kansas GS, Ley K, Marth JD. Sialyltransferase specificity in selectin ligand formation. Blood, 100, 3618-25, 2002.
- Minges Wols HA, Underhill GH, Kansas GS, Witte PL. The role of bone marrow-derived stromal cells in the maintenance of plasma cell longevity. J Immunol, 169, 4213-21, 2002.
- Underhill GH, Minges Wols HA, Fornek JL, Witte PL, Kansas GS. IgG plasma cells display a unique spectrum of leukocyte adhesion and homing molecules. Blood, 99, 2905-12, 2002.
- White SJ, Underhill GH, Kaplan MH, Kansas GS. Cutting edge: differential requirements for Stat4 in expression of glycosyltransferases responsible for selectin ligand formation in Th1 cells. J Immunol, 167, 628-31, 2001.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein Individual National Research Service Award, Postdoctoral Fellow (2005-2007)
- Keystone Symposium Travel Award (2007)
- Young Investigator Award, Georgia Tech Frontiers in Bioengineering Workshop (2013)
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 298 B - Analytical Tools for BIOE
- BIOE 476 - Tissue Engineering
- BIOE 487 - Stem Cell Bioengineering
- BIOE 497 GU - Individual Study
- BIOE 498 GU - Stem Cell Bioengineering
- BIOE 598 GU - Stem Cell Bioengineering