- Director of the Center of Excellence for Airport Technology
For more information
- Lecture for ACI Illinois Chapter on SAP in Concrete
- Lange testimony to congressional committee
- Lange interview on occasion of Della Roy Lecture in 2019
- David A. Lange, University of Illinois, CEE Dept Faculty Page
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, 1991
- M.B.A., Business Administration, Wichita State University, 1984
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Valparaiso University, 1981
David A. Lange holds a B.S. (Valparaiso University 1981) in civil engineering, MBA (Wichita State University 1984), and Ph.D. (Northwestern University 1991) in civil engineering. He has been on the faculty of the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois since 1992. He is the Director of the Center of Excellence for Airport Technology (CEAT) which is funded by the Federal Aviation Administration and the O�Hare Modernization Program.
Dr. Lange teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in civil engineering materials, repair of civil structures, systems engineering and engineering economics.
Dr. Lange is a fellow of the American Concrete Institute and a fellow of the American Ceramic Society. He served as president of the American Concrete Institute in 2018-19, and also serves on the ACI Board of Direction.
Dr. Lange�s research interests include the materials science behavior of concrete materials, characterization of microstructure of porous materials, early age properties of concrete, and water transport in repair and masonry materials.
- Emeritus Professor, University of Illinois, Civil Engineering, 2020-present
- Professor, University of Illinois, Civil Engineering, 2005-2020
- Director, Center of Excellence for Airport Technology, University of Illinois, 2004-2020
- Honorary Professor, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia, 2018
- Distinguished Professor, Jinan University, 2017
- Guest Professor, Southeast University, Nanjing, China, 2017
- Visiting Professor, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan, 2010
- Associate Head, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, UIUC, 2004-2010
- Associate Director, Center for Advanced Cement-Based Materials, UIUC, 2003-2004
- Visiting Professor, Denmark Technical University, Lynby, Denmark, 2001-2002
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois, Civil Engineering, 1999-2005
- Visiting Professor, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1999
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, Civil Engineering, 1994-1999
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, Civil Engineering, 1992-1993
Other Professional Employment
- Engineer, Boeing Military Airplane Co., Wichita, KS, 1981-1987
- Registered Professional Engineer in Illinois (License No.062-049600), 1993
- x-ray computed tomography of cement microstructure
- concrete rail ties
- airport technology
- self consolidating concrete
- bond mechanisms in masonry
- fiber reinforced concrete
- early-age shrinkage and creep, fracture behavior of concrete
- relationships between microstructure and mechanical properties
- Civil engineering materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- A. Das, Y. Song, S. Mantellato, T. Wangler, D.A. Lange, R.J. Flatt, "Effect of processing on the air void system of 3D printed concrete", Cem Conc Research, accepted 2022.
- K. Pattaje Sooryanarayana, K.A. Hawkins, P. Stynoski, D.A. Lange, "Controlling 3D Printable Concrete with Vibration," ACI Materials Journal, dot: 10.14359/51734150, V. 118, No. 6, Nov 2021.
- R. Damiani, P. Mondal, D.A. Lange, "Shrinkage-Reducing Admixture Effect on Rubberized Cement Performance," ACI Materials Journal, doi: 10.14359/51730424, V. 118, No. 3, May 2021.
- Y. Song, C. Shen, R. Damiani, D.A. Lange, "Image-based restoration of the concrete void system using 2D-to-3D unfolding technique," Const. and Bldg Materials (Elsevier), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.121476, Volume 270, 8 February 2021.
- J.V. Clark and D.A. Lange, "Optimization of Cellular Concrete Microstructure for Improved Impact Resistance," Transportation Research Record (Ms. No. 20-07822), 2021.
- F.C. Oliveira, M.P. Kassab, N.V. Silva, L.M. Tavares, D.A. Lange, "Probabilistic functions of mechanical properties of plain cement pastes determined by a reduced-size test," Construction and Building Materials, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.122907), Volume 286, 7 June 2021
- R. Damiani, P. Mondal, D.A. Lange, "Mechanical performance of rubberized cement paste with calcium sulfoaluminate cement addition," Construction and Building Materials, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120790, 266, 2021.
- Y. Silva, D.A. Lange, S. Delvasto, "Effects of the incorporation of residue of masonry on the properties of cementitious mortars," Revista de la Construcción, DOI: 10.7764/RDLC.19.3.407, Vol. 19 No. 3, 2020.
- P.H.F. Loz, J.P. Monicelli, M.M. Futai, E. Tutumluer, D.A. Lange, S.C. Angulo, "Roughness of Natural Aggregates by Interferometry and its Microstructure" Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 297 (10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.123646), 2020.
- Y. Song, Z. Huang, C. Shen, H. Shi, D.A. Lange, "Deep learning-based automated image segmentation for concrete petrographic analysis," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol 135, doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2020.106118, 2020.
- Y. Song, R. Damiani, C. Shen, D. Castaneda, D.A. Lange, "A 3D Petrographic Analysis for Concrete Freeze-Thaw Protection," Cement and Concrete Research, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2019.105952), Vol. 128, February 2020.
- S.C. Angulo, N.V. Silva, D.A. Lange, L.M. Tavares, "Probability distributions of mechanical properties of natural aggregates using a simple method," Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 233, p. 117269, 2020.
- Zhifang Zhao, Kejin Wang, David A Lange, Hougui Zhou, Weilun Wang, Dongming Zhu, "Creep and thermal cracking of ultra-high volume fly ash mass concrete at early age," Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 99, pp 191-202, 2019.
- Y. Song and D.A. Lange, "Measuring Young’s Modulus of Low-Density Foam Concrete Using Resonant Frequency," 2019020207 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201902.0207.v1), 2019.
- Mohammed T Albahttiti, Ahmad A Ghadban, Kyle A Riding, David A Lange, "Effects of prestressing and saw-cutting on the freeze-thaw durability," Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 104, p. 103418, 2019.
- Y. Song and D. Lange, "Crushing Behavior and Crushing Strengths of Low-Density Foam Concrete," ACI Mat. J., Manuscript ID M-2018-448.R2, accepted, 2019.
- N.V. Silva, S.C. Angulo, A.S.R. Barbosa, D.A. Lange, L.M. Tavares, "Improved method to measure the strength and elastic modulus of single aggregate particles," Materials and Structures, Vol. 55, No. 77, (https//doi.org/10.1617/s11527-019-1380-7), 2019.
- Z. Zhao, K. Wang, D.A. Lange, H. Zhou, W. Wang, and D. Zhu, "Creep and thermal cracking of ultra-high volume fly ash mass concrete at early age," Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 99, pp. 191-202, 2019.
- Y. Song and D.A. Lange, "Crushing performance of ultra-lightweight foam concrete with fine particle inclusions," Applied Sciences, V9, No5, p876, ISSN:2076-3417, 2019.
- Y.F. Silva, D.A. Lange, S. Delvasto, "Effect of incorporation of masonry residue on the properties of self-compacting concretes," Construction and Building Materials, Vol 196, pp 277-283, 2019.
- J. Koch, D. Castaneda, R.H. Ewoldt, and D.A. Lange, "Vibration of fresh concrete understood through the paradigm of granular physics" Cement and Concrete Research, Volume 115, pp 31-42, 2019.
- D. Casteneda, K. Riding, D.A. Lange, "Prediction of Freezing Temperature inside Concrete Crossties at the Rail Seat," J. Mat. Civil Eng. (ASCE), doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002528, Vol 31, No. 1, 2019.
- Henschen, J.D., Castaneda, D.I., Lange, D.A., Formwork pressure model for self-consolidating concrete using pressure decay signature, ACI Materials Journal, 115(3), pp. 339-348, 2018.
- C. Sun, J. Xiao, D.A. Lange, "Simulation study on the shear transfer behavior of recycled aggregate concrete," Structural Concrete, DOI: 10.1002/suco.201600236, pp. 1-14, 2018.
- C. Sun, D.A. Lange, J. Xiao, and T. Ding, "Contact behavior between cracked surfaces of recycled aggregate concrete," J. Construction and Building Materials, (CONBUILDMAT-D-17-01764R1), V 155, 1168-1178, 2017.
- A. Shurpali, J.R. Edwards, R. Kernes, D.A. Lange, C. Barkan, "Improving the Abrasion Resistance of Concrete to Mitigate Concrete Crosstie Rail Seat Deterioration (RSD)," J. Materials Performance and Characterization (ASTM), doi:10.1520/MPC20170051, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2017.
- J. Kim, G. Zi, D.A. Lange, "Measurement of Water Absorption of Very Fine Particles using Electrical Resistivity," ACI Mat. J., DOI: 10.14359/51700994, Vol 114, 6, 2017.
- Y. Song, R. Zou, D. Castaneda, K.A. Riding, and D.A. Lange, "Advances in Measuring Air-Void Parameters in Hardened Concrete Using a Flatbed Scanner," ASTM J. Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 45, No. 5, 2017, pp. 1713–1725, http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/JTE20150424. ISSN 0090-3973.
- S. Zhao, E. Van Dam, D.A. Lange, W. Sun, "Abrasion resistance and nano-scratch behavior of an ultra-high performance concrete," ASCE J. Mat. Civil Eng.,[DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001744] 29(2): 04016212, 2017.
- N.J. Gardner; Keller, L.; Khayat, K.H.; Lange, D.A.; and Ahmed R. Omran, “Field Measurements of SCC Lateral Pressure—Toronto 2014,” Concrete International, Vol 38, No. 6. Pp 42-50, 2016.
- I. You, J. Choi, D.A. Lange, G. Zi, "Pozzolanic reaction of waste glass sludge incorporating precipitation additives," Computers and Concrete, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp 255-269 (DOI: 10.12989.cac.2016.17.2.000), 2016.
- H. Wolf, Y Qian, J.R. Edwards, M. Dersch, D.A. Lange, "Temperature-Induced Curl of Prestressed Concrete Monoblock Railroad Crossties," Construction and Building Materials, Construction and Building Materials, 115, pp 319–326, 2016.
- J. Xiao, C. Sun, D.A. Lange, "Effect of joint interface conditions on shear transfer behavior of recycled aggregate concrete," Construction and Building Materials 105 pp 343–355, 2016.
- R. Serpell, J. Henschen, J. Roesler, D.A. Lange, "Relative Proportioning Method for Controlled Low-Strength Material," ACI Materials Journal, [DOI: DOI: 10.14359/51687226], Vol. 112, No. 2, pp 179-188, 2015
- Zhao, S., Lange, D., Sun, W., "Deflection-crack mouth opening displacement relationship for concrete beams with and without fibers," Magazine of Concrete Research, 67 (10), pp. 532-540., 2015.
- RILEM Materials and Structures Journal, Outstanding Paper of 2019 (2020)
- Wason Medal Award, (Best Paper of the Institute), American Concrete Institute (2020)
- Della Roy Lecturer, American Ceramic Society (2019)
- CIVMIN Distinguished Lecturer, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (2019)
- Zachry Distinguished Lecturer, Zachry College of Engineering, Texas A&M University (2019)
- Wason Medal Award, (Best Paper of the Institute), American Concrete Institute (2018)
- Honorary Professor, Universidad del Valle, Cali (2018)
- Distinguished Professorship, Jinan University (2017)
- Fulbright Scholarship from J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB) (2013)
- College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (2013)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advisor (2012)
- Stanley H. Pierce Award (2011)
- Chi Epsilon, Honorary Member (2010)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2010)
- iFoundry Fellow, Education Reform at UIUC (2008 )
- ASCE Glen L. Martin Best Paper Award (2008)
- American Ceramic Society Fellow (2005)
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research (2004)
- Wason Medal Award, (Best Paper of the Institute), American Concrete Institute (2003)
- American Concrete Institute Fellow (2002)
- N. Khachaturian Faculty Scholar (1997)
- NSF Career Award (1996)
Recent Courses Taught
- CEE 201 - Systems Engrg & Economics
- CEE 300 (TAM 324) - Behavior of Materials
- CEE 401 - Concrete Materials
- CEE 461 - Reinforced Concrete I
- CEE 507 - Repair of Civil Infrastructure
- CEE 595 MA - Materials Seminar