Daniel J Bodony
306C Talbot Laboratory
For More Information
- Ph.D. Aeronautics & Astronautics Stanford University 2005 (Advisor: S. K. Lele; Thesis Title: Aeroacoustic prediction of turbulent free-shear flows)
- M.S. Aeronautics & Astronautics Purdue University 1999
- B.S. Aeronautics & Astronautics Purdue University 1997
- 1 July 2022 - 31 December 2022, Visiting Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
- 16-August-2021 - present, Associate Dean for Graduate, Professional, and Online Programs, Grainger College of Engineering
- 16 August 2020 - present, Blue Waters Professor of Aerospace Engineering
- Compressible turbulence
- Fluid mechanics of compressible fluids
- Flow stability and control
- Fluid-thermal-structure interaction (aeroelasticity, aerothermoelasticity)
- Aeroacoustics (sound generated by turbulent flows)
Chapters in Books
- BODONY, D. J. & LELE, S. K. (2006) Applications and results: Jet noise. LES for Acoustics (ed. C. Wagner, T. Huttl & P. Sagaut). Cambridge Univ. Press, pp. 289--310.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Vu, L., Fikl, A., Bodony, D. J., Desjardins, O. (2023) “An Adjoint Method for Control of Liquid-Gas Flows Using a Sharp Interface Model,” accepted for publication the Journal of Computational Physics X.
- Fellows, D., Iskandar, V., Bodony, D. J., McGowan, R. C., Kang, S.-G., Pope, A. and Kweon, C.-B. M. (2023) “A Method for Predicting the Aeroelastic Response of Radial Turbomachines,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Turbomachinery. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4057062
- Sashittal, P., Chiodi, R., Morgan, T., Desjardins, O., Heindel, T. and Bodony, D. J. (2022) “Modal Analysis and Interface Tracking of Multiphase Flows using Dynamic Mode Decomposition,” ,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 157, Dec. 2022, 104198.
- Dettenrieder, F. and Bodony, D. J. (2022) “Stability analysis of compressible flat plate boundary layer flow over a mechanically compliant wall,” invited paper for hypersonics-focused special issue of Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00162-021-00600-z
- Sashittal, P. and Bodony, D. J. (2021) “Data-Driven Sensor Placement for Fluid Flow,” Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 35(10), pp. 709-729.
- Fikl, A. and Bodony, D. J. (2021) “Adjoint-based Interfacial Control of Viscous Drops”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 911, A39 (42 pages).
- Bay, Y. Y., Bodony, D. J., and Freund, J. B. (2020) “Boundary-consistent B-spline filtering schemes and application to high-fidelity simulations of turbulence”, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 419(109680).
- Sullivan, B., Whalen T., Laurence, S. and Bodony, D. J. (2020) “Simulation and modeling of the fluid-structure interaction of a compliant panel in a hypersonic compression ramp flow”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 58(11), pp. 4848-4865.
- Whalen, T., Schöneich, A., Laurence, A., Sullivan, B., Bodony, D. J., Freydin, M., Dowell, E., and Buck, G. (2020) “Hypersonic Fluid-Structure Interactions in Compression Corner Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interaction”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 58(9), pp. 4090-4105.
- Pulliam, T. H., Jespersen, D. C., Bodony, D. J., and Bidadi, S. (2020) "Improved Eigenvectors for Pulliam-Chaussee Diagonalized Approximate-Factorization Algorithm,"Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 412(109443), 11 pp.
- Fikl, A. and Bodony, D. J. (2020) “Jump Relations of Certain Hypersingular Stokes Kernels on Regular Surfaces”, SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics, Vol. 80(5), pp. 2226-2248.
- Diener, M., Bodony, D. J., and Kale, L. (2020) “Heterogeneous Computing with OpenMP and Hydra”, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Vol. 32(20), 14 pp.
- Murthy, S. R., Sayadi, T., Le Chenadec, V., Schmid, P. J., and Bodony, D. J. (2019) "Analysis of degenerate mechanisms triggering finite amplitude thermo-acoustic oscillations in annular combustors", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 881, pp. 384-419.
- Sashittal, P. and Bodony, D. J. (2019) "Reduced-order control using low-rank Dynamic Mode Decomposition", Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, Vol. 33(6), pp. 603-623.
- Popov, P. P., Buchta, D. A., Anderson, M. J., Massa, L., Capecelatro, J., Bodony, D. J., and Freund, J. B. (2019) "Machine Learning-Assisted Early Ignition Prediction in a Complex Flow", Combustion and Flame, Vol. 206, pp. 451-466.
- Mikida, C., Klöckner, A., and Bodony, D. J. (2019) “Multi-Rate Time Integration on Overset Meshes”, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 396, pp. 325-346.
- Diener, M., Bodony, D. J., and Kale, L. (2019) “Accelerating scientific applications on heterogeneous systems with HybridOMP”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Vol. 11333): High Performance Computing for Computational Science – VECPAR 2018, pp. 174-187.
- Capecelatro, J., Bodony, D. J., and Freund, J. B. (2019) "Adjoint-based sensitivity and ignition threshold mapping in a turbulent mixing layer", Combustion Theory and Modeling, vol. 23(1), pp. 147-179.
- Natarajan, M., Freund, J. B., and Bodony, D. J. (2018) "Global Mode-Based Control of Laminar and Turbulent High-Speed Jets", Comptes Rendus Méchanique, Vol. 346(10), pp. 978-996 (special issue on jet noise).
- Sashittal, P. and Bodony, D. J., “Low-Rank Dynamic Mode Decomposition using Riemannian Manifold Optimization”, (2018) 57th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control.
- Sharan, N., Pantano, C., and Bodony, D. J. (2018) "Time-Stable Overset Grid Method for Hyperbolic Problems using Summation-by-Parts Operators", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 361, pp. 199-230.
- Natarajan, M., Freund, J. B., and Bodony, D. J. (2016) "Actuator Selection and Placement for Localized Feedback Flow Control", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 809, pp. 775-792.
- Shahriari, N., Bodony, D. J., Hanifi, A., and Henningson, D. S. (2016) "Acoustic receptivity simulations of flow past a flat plate with elliptic leading edge", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 800, pp. R2-1–R2-11.
- Bodony, D. J., Day, L., Friscia, A. R., Fusani, L., Karon, A., Swenson Jr., G. W., Wikelski, M., Schlinger., B. (2016) “Determination of the Wingsnap Sonation Mechanism of the Golden-Collared Manakin (Manacus vitellinus)”, Journal of Experimental Biology, Vol. 219, No. 10, pp. 1524-1534.
- Zhang, Q. and Bodony, D. J., (2016) "Numerical Investigation of a Honeycomb Liner Grazed By Laminar and Turbulent Boundary Layers", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 792, pp. 936-980.
- Vishnampet, R., Bodony, D. J., and Freund, J. B., (2015) "A practical and efficient discrete-adjoint method for high-fidelity compressible turbulence simulations", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 285, pp 173-192.
- Kim, J., Bodony, D. J., and Freund, J. B. (2014) "Adjoint-based control of loud events in a turbulent jet," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. (741), pp. 28-59.
- Sucheendran, M. M., Bodony, D. J., and Geubelle, P. H. (2014) “Coupled structural-acoustic response of a duct-mounted elastic plate with grazing flow,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 52(1), pp. 178-194.
- Ostoich, C, Bodony, D. J., and Geubelle, P. H. (2013) "Interaction of a Mach 2.25 turbulent boundary layer with a fluttering panel using direct numerical simulation," Physics of Fluids, Vol. 25(11), 110806, 27 pages.
- Mishra, A., Bodony, D. J. (2013) ``Evaluation of actuator disk theory for predicting indirect combustion noise," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332(4), pp. 821--838.
- Reichert, A., Heath M. T., Bodony, D. J. (2012) ``Energy Stable Numerical Methods for Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations Using Overlapping Domain Decomposition,'' Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 231, pp. 5243–5265.
- Ostoich, C., Bodony D. J., Geubelle, P. H. (2012) “Coupled fluid-thermal response of a spherical dome due to a Mach 6.59 laminar boundary layer,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 50(12), pp. 2791--2808.
- Zhang, Q., Bodony D. J. (2012) “Numerical investigation and modeling of acoustically-excited flow through a circular orifice backed by a hexagonal cavity,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 693, pp. 367-401.
- Kim, J., Bodony D.J., Freund, J.B.(2012) "Mechanisms of Jet Noise Reduction and Their Impact on Large-Eddy Simulations (invited)", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 28(2), pp. 259-268.
- Austin, J. M., and Bodony, D. J., (2011) "Wave propagation in gaseous small-scale channel flows," Shock Waves, Vol. 21(6), pp. 547-557.
- Bodony, D. J., Zagaris, G., Reichert, A., Zhang., Q., (2011) "Provably stable overset grid methods for computational aeroacoustics," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 330, pp. 4161-4179.
- Zhang, Q, and Bodony, D. J., (2011) "Numerical simulation of two-dimensional acoustic liners with high-speed grazing flow," Vol 49(2), AIAA Journal, pp. 365-382.
- Kleinman, R.R., Bodony, D.J., Freund, J.B. (2010) "Shear-flow Excitation Mechanisms of Recessed Localized Arc-Filament Plasma Actuators," Vol. 22(116103), Phys. Fluids.
- Bodony, D. J. (2010), "Accuracy of the simultaneous-approximation-term boundary condition for time-dependent problems," J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 43(1), pp. 118-133.
- Bodony, D. J. (2009), "Scattering of an entropy disturbance into sound by a symmetric thin body," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 21, 096101.
- Ihme, M., Pitsch, H., & Bodony, D. J. (2009), “Radiation of noise in turbulent non-premixed ﬂames,” Proc. Combust. Inst., Vol. 32(1), pp. 1545–1553
- Bodony, D. J. & Lele, S. K. (2008), “Low Frequency Sound Sources in High-Speed Turbulent Jets,” J. Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 617, pp. 231-253.
- Bodony, D. J. & Lele, S. K. (2008), “On the current status of jet noise predictions using large-eddy simulation”, AIAA J., Vol. 46, No. 2.
- Bodony, D. J. (2006) Analysis of Sponge Boundary Treatments for Computational Fluid Mechanics, J. Comp. Phys., Vol. 212, pp. 681--702.
- Bodony, D. J. & Lele, S. K. (2005) On Using Large-Eddy Simulation for the Prediction of Noise from Cold and Heated Turbulent Jets. Phys. Fluids, Vol. 17, 085103.
- ILASS (Institute Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems) (Member)
- Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (Member)
- Acoustical Society of America (Member)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Associate Fellow)
- American Physical Society (Member; Division of Fluid Dynamics; Secretary and Treasurer 2021-2024)
- Rose Award for Teaching Excellence (2022)
- Campus Distinguished Promotion Award (2020)
- William L. Everitt Teaching Award (2018)
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research (2016)
- Donald Biggar Willett Faculty Scholar (2015)
- AIAA Best Paper Award from the Fluid Dynamics Technical Committee (June 2014)
- AIAA Associate Fellow (November 2013)
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award (2012)
Recent Courses Taught
- AE 311 - Incompressible Flow
- AE 312 - Compressible Flow
- AE 410 (CSE 461) - Computational Aerodynamics
- AE 412 (ME 411) - Viscous Flow & Heat Transfer
- AE 451 - Aeroelasticity
- AE 498 CFD (AE 498 CFO) - Applied CFD
- AE 590 A - Seminar
- AE 598 CAA (AE 598 CAO) - Aeroacoustics
- ME 410 - Intermediate Gas Dynamics