Blake Everett Johnson
Teaching Assistant Professor; Director, Undergraduate Instructional Laboratories
1024 Sidney Lu Mech Engr Bldg
For More Information
- PhD Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, UIUC, 2012
- MS Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, UIUC, 2007
- BS Engineering Mechanics, UIUC, 2005 Secondary Field: Wave Mechanics
- Teaching Assistant Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2019--2022
- Lecturer, Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2015--2019
- Visiting Lecturer, Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2014--2015
- Postdoctoral research associate, Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012--2013
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education
- Development of an integrated hands-on four-year design curriculum in ME, and advising the Aerospace Engineering department in the development of a similar sequence.
- Advising new educational initiatives through my role as the inaugural Entrepreneurial Mindset Fellow (EMF) in the college. These initiatives include assisting the development of a new capstone course in Materials Science and Engineering.
- Development of exciting laboratory exercises to improve the curriculum in our BSME program, such as a fountain design project to replace a stale exercise for measuring head losses in pipe flows, and a new inquiry-based pedagogy in an undergraduate Heat Transfer laboratory
- Building and sustaining and oral presentation skills program that serves capstone courses, REUs, research centers, and even department-wide faculty development (Engineers SPEAK)
- Current work on a University-wide Service Learning Ecosystem, which is already impacting local K--12 schools and will eventually have a state-wide reach
- Designing, implementing, and constantly improving a TA Training Course that serves the Grainger College of Engineering, which is presently required coursework for the four largest departments in the college (CS, ECE, MechSE, CEE)
- TAM 335 Introductory Fluid Mechanics Laboratory Manager: 2019--present
- ME 320 Heat Transfer Laboratory Manager: 2014--present
- ME 310 Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics Laboratory Manager: 2014--present
- ENG 598 WTG: STEM Writing: Practice/Pedagogy, Spring 2021 & 2022
- ENG 491 HYP: Illini Hyperloop Senior Design, Fall 2016
- ENG 598 TL/TL2: Teaching and Leadership, Spring 2017--Present
- Illini Hyperloop RSO, 2015--2020
- Illini Hyperloop SpaceX Pod Competition, 2017 -- 2019
- ME 470, Design of an Adjustable Z-Type Anti-Roll Bar for the Linkoping University FSAE Team, Fall 2020
- ME 470, An air duct mode control for HVAC systems, Fall 2021
- ME 470, Development of New Flow Visualization Devices in a Fluid Mechanics Laboratory, Spring 2022
- ME 470, Development of an Inquiry-Based Laboratory Experience in Heat Transfer, Spring 2022
- Entrepreneurial Mindset Learning
- Service Learning
- Fluid Mechanics
- Professional Identity Development
- Engineering Education
- Fluid Mechanics
Selected Articles in Journals
- King, W.P., Amos, J., Azer, M., Baker, D., Bashir, R., Best, C., Johnson, B.E., ... & Wooldridge, A. R. (2020). Emergency ventilator for COVID-19. PloS one, 15(12), e0244963.
- Johnson, B.E., Tian, W., Zhang, K. & Hu, H. An Experimental Study of Density Ratio Effects on the Film Cooling Injection from Discrete Holes by Using PIV and PSP Techniques. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 76: 337-349, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2014.04.028.
- Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Christensen, K.T. Structural Characteristics of a Heated Jet in Cross-Flow Emanating from a Raised, Circular Stack. Experiments in Fluids (2013) 54: 1543. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-013-1543-1
- Johnson, B.E. & Christensen, K.T. Turbulent Flow Over Low-Order Models of Highly-Irregular Surface Roughness. AIAA Journal (2009) 47 (5): 1288-1299.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Chen, Y.W., Johnson, B.E., Johnson, B.K., Pool, M. & Shehab, S. "Engagement in Practice: Toward Building University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Multi-Disciplinary Service -Learning Ecosystem." ASEE 2022 Annual Conference. Minneapolis, MN. June 28, 2022.
- Choi, H.H., Havan, S., Hathaway, C., Johnson, B.E., Beckman, M.A., Chen, Y.W. & Anderson, L. "Inform Track: Integrated Teaching and Leadership Development Program for Graduate Teaching Assistants." 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access. 2021.
- Johnson, B.E., Hathaway-Goldstein, M.G. & Bradley, J.A. "Work-in-progress: Identifying Effective Student Leaders to Improve Capstone Design Team Assignments." 127th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Online. June 23, 2020.
- Mohan, A.K., Dey, P., Silva, M.F. & Johnson, B.E.. "Introducing junto: a Web Tool to Build Project Teams based on a Bidding Strategy." 127th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Online. June 23, 2020
- Chen, Y.W., Choi, H.H., Johnson, B.E., Beckman, M. & Anderson, L. Integrated Engineering Leadership Initiative for Teaching Excellence (iELITE) Year Two: Assessment of Intermediate-Term Outcome for Graduate Teaching Assistant Training. 126th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Tampa, FL. June 18, 2019.
- Jassim, E.W. & Johnson, B.E. An Integrated Four-year Hands-on Design Curriculum: A Case Study. 126th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Tampa, FL. June 18, 2019. *This paper was nominated by the ASEE Mechanical Engineering Division as the best paper of the 2019 conference
- Lee, G.S., Kim, K., Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Dutton, J.C., "A Compressible Mixing Layer Facility for CFD Validation Measurements," presented at the 32nd AIAA Aerodynamic Measurement Technology and Ground Testing Conference, AIAA Paper No. 2016-3982, June 2016.
- Kim, K., Lee, G.S., Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Dutton, J.C., "Stereoscopic PIV Measurements of a Turbulent Compressible Mixing Layer for CFD Validation," presented at the 47th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA Paper 2017-4129, June 2017.
- Choi, H.H., Chen, Y.W., Beckman, A.M., Anderson, L., Johnson, B.E., Goodman, M., Migotsky, C. & Johnson-Glauch, N. Integrative Engineering Leadership Initiative for Teaching Excellence (iELITE). 125th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Salt Lake City, Utah. June 23, 2018. https://peer.asee.org/30696
- Johnson, B.E. & Morphew, J.W. An Analysis of Recipe-Based Instruction in an Introductory Fluid Mechanics Laboratory. 123rd ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. New Orleans, LA. June 26, 2016. DOI: 10.18260/p.26564
- Johnson, B.E. & Hu, H., Measurement Uncertainties Analysis in the Determination of Adiabatic Film Cooling Effectiveness by Using Pressure Sensitive Paint (PSP) Technique, FEDSM2014-21230, 4th Joint US-European ASME Fluids Engineering Summer Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 3~ 7, 2014.
- Zhou, W.W., Johnson, B.E. & Hu, H., An Experimental Study of Momentum-Preserving Shaped Holes for Film Cooling Using PSP and PIV, AIAA-2014-0280, 2014 AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition (SciTech2014), National Harbor, Maryland, 13 - 17 January, 2014.
- Zhang, K., Johnson, B.E., Rothmayer, A.P. & Hu, H., An Experimental Investigation on Wind-Driven Rivulet/Film Flows over a NACA0012 Airfoil by Using Digital Image Projection Technique, AIAA-2014-0741, 2014 AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition (SciTech2014), National Harbor, Maryland, 13 - 17 January, 2014.
- Johnson, B.E., Zhang, K., Wei, T. & Hu, H., An Experimental Study on Film Cooling Effectiveness by Using PIV and PSP Techniques, AIAA-2013-0603; 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Grapevine, Texas, USA, 07 - 10 January 2013.
- Zhou, W.W., Johnson, B.E. & Hu, H., An Experimental Study of Compressibility Effects on the Film Cooling Effectiveness Using PSP and PIV Techniques, AIAA-2015-0352, 2015 AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition (SciTech2015), Kissimmee, Florida, USA, 5-9 January 2015.
- Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Christensen, K.T. 2010. An Experimental Study of Heated Circular and Rectangular Jets Emitting into a Crossflow. 16th U.S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Conference, USNCTAM2010-570.
- Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Christensen, K.T. 2010. An Experimental Study of Heated Circular and Rectangular Jets Emitting into a Crossflow. 40th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA Paper 2010-4846.
- Johnson, B.E., Elliott, G.S. & Christensen, K.T. 2009. An Experimental Study of a Heated Circular Stack Emitting into a Crossflow. 39th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA Paper 2009-4171.
- Johnson, B.E. & Christensen, K. T.2008. Low-Order Models of Highly-Irregular Surface Roughness. 38th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA Paper 2008-3961. *This paper was nominated for the best paper award at the conference
Service on Department Committees
- Assisted with ABET Outcome evaluations of departmental curricula, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021
- Undergraduate Programs committee 2021--2022
- Safety committee 2018--2019
- Undergraduate Programs committee 2018--2019
Service on College Committees
- AE3 Workshop: Maximizing Student Project Teams, Summer 2002
- Workshop facilitator: Incorporating Computing into Engineering Curriculum, Summer 2022
- Entrepreneurial Mindset Fellow, Academy for Excellence in Engineering Education, 2022--present
- ENG/TE Curriculum committee. 2020--2021
- Improving Undergraduate Writing Instruction and Feedback through Professional Development of STEM Graduate-Student Teaching Assistants. SIIP 2020--2021
- iDesign Liason for Aerospace Engineering Adaption SIIP. 2018--2019
- MechSE iDesign SIIP team. 2015--present
- TAM 2XX SIIP team. 2015--2018
- Engineers SPEAK Program. 2018--present
- ENG 598 TL Teaching and Leadership. 2016--present
Other Outside Service
- Development of service learning modules for Franklin Middle School, Fall 2020, Spring 2021
- Engineering Council Outstanding Adviser Award (2021, 2022 )
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (2017, 2008, 2007, 2006)
- James O. Smith Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence (2007)
- Collins Scholar, 2014
Recent Courses Taught
- CS 591 TA - Teaching Assistant Training
- ECE 590 TL - Teaching and Leadership
- ENG 491 HYP - Hyperloop Pod Competition
- ENG 598 TL (ENG 598 TL2) - Teaching and Leadership 2
- ME 320 OBD - Heat Transfer
- ME 470 AL1 (ME 470 OL1, ME 470 OL2) - Senior Design Project
- TAM 195 - Mechanics in the Modern World
- TAM 210 - Introduction to Statics
- TAM 211 - Statics
- TAM 251 - Introductory Solid Mechanics
- TAM 252 - Solid Mechanics Design