Ana P. Barros
- Donald Biggar Willett Chair of Engineering
1114 Newmark Civil Engineering Bldg
- M.S. University of Porto, Portugal
- M.S. Oregon Institute of Technology, 1990
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 1993
- Department Head and Donald Biggar Willett Distinguished Chair in Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Grainger College of Engineering, UIUC 2021- Present
- Emeritus Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University
- Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School Distinguished Prof.of Civil and Env. Eng., Duke University, 2018
- James L. Meriam Professor of Civil and Env. Engineering, Duke University, 2015 - 2018
- Professor, Earth & Ocean Sciences, Nicholas School of the Environ., Duke University, 2013 - 2021
- Senior Fellow, Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas, US Dep. of State, 2011 - 2015
- Founding Director, Karsh International Scholars Program, Duke University, 2011 - 2016
- Professor, Civil & Env. Eng., Pratt School of Engineering, Duke University, 2004 - 2015
- Associate Professor, Div. Eng. & Appl. Sciences, Harvard University, 1999 - 2004
- Development and application of information technology as a research tool and in the operation of complex engineering systems.
- Computational environmental fluid mechanics and nonlinear dynamics;
- Remote sensing of the environment using microwave and infrared sensors; long– range predictability and risk analysis of natural hazards;
- Physics of water cycle processes in mountainous regions with a focus on cloud formation and precipitation;
Chapters in Books
- Barros, A.P., Shrestha, P., Chavez, S., Duan, Y., 2018: Modeling aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions in mountainous regions - Challenges in the representation of indirect microphysical effects with impacts at sub-regional scales. In Rainfall - Extremes, Distribution and Properties, IntechBookOpen (Pub.), Abbott, J. (Ed.), Chapter 5, 22pp, ISBN: 978-1-78984-735-2.Doi: 0.5772/intechopen.80025.
- Barros, A.P. , and Arulraj, M., 2020: Remote Sensing of Orographic Precipitation. In Satellite Precipitation Measurement, Vol.2, Chapter 4.6, Elsevier (Pub.), in press.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Manickam, S., and Barros, A.P., 2020: Parsing Synthetic Aperture Radar Measurements of Snow in Complex Terrain: Scaling Behavior and Sensitivity to Snow Wetness and Landcover. Remote Sensing, 12(3), 483; 10.3390/rs12030483.
- Ruti, P., Tarasova, O., Keller, J., Carmichael, G., Hov, O., Jones, S., Terblanche, D., Anderson- Lefale, C., Barros, A.P., and many others, 2020: Advancing Research for Seamless Earth System Prediction. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0302.2
- Cao, Y. and Barros, A.P., 2020: Weather-Dependent Nonlinear Microwave behavior of Seasonal High-Elevation Snowpacks. Remote Sensing, 12,3422; 0.3390/rs12203422
- Eghdami, M. and Barros, A.P., 2020: Deforestation Impacts on Orographic Precipitation in the tropical Andes. Frontiers Environmental Sciences - Atmospheric Science, doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2020.580159
- Chavez,S.J.; Silva,Y.; Barros, A.P., 2020: High-Elevation Monsoon Precipitation Processes in the Central Andes of Peru. J. Geophys. Res. - Atmospheres, 10.1029/2020JD032947.
- Foufoula-Georgiou, E., Guilloteau, C., Nguyen, P., Aghakouchak, A., Hsu, Kuo-Lin, Busalacchi. A., Turk. F.J., Peters-Lidard, C., Oki, T., Duan, Q., Krajewski, W., UIjlenhopet, R., Barros, A. Kirstetter, P., Logan, W., Hogue, T., Gupta, H., and Levizzani, V., 2020: Advancing Precipitation Estimation and Impact Studies. 12th International Precipitation Conference, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., https://DoI.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-20-0014.1, E1584-1592.
- Arulraj, M. and Barros, A.P., 2021: Automatic Detection and Classification of Orographic Precipitation using Machine Learning. Remote Sensing of the Environment, in press. Earth and Space Science Open Archive, DoI:10.1002/essoar.10502701.1
- Rhae Sung Kim, Sujay Kumar, Carrie Vuyovich, Paul Houser, Jessica Lundquist, Lawrence Mudryk, Michael Durand, Ana Barros, Edward J. Kim, Barton A. Forman, Ethan D. Gutmann, Melissa L. Wrzesien, Camille Garnaud, Melody Sandells, Hans-Peter Marshall, Nicoleta Cristea, Justin M. Pflug, Jeremy Johnston, Yueqian Cao, David Mocko, Shugong Wang, and many others, 2021: Snow Ensemble Uncertainty Project (SEUP): Quantification of snow water equivalent uncertainty across North America via ensemble land surface modeling. Cryoshere, 15(2), 771-791.
- Zeitler, P., Barros, A. P., Becker, T. W., Davidson, E. A., Ehlmann, B. L.,Gruber, N., et al., 2021: Confronting racism to advance our science. AGU Advances, 2, e2020AV000296. https://DoI.org/10.1029/2020AV000296.
- Wei, T., and Barros, A.P., 2021: Prospects for Long-Term Agriculture in Southern Africa: Emergent Dynamics of Savannah Ecosystems from Remote Sensing Observations. Remote Sensing, 13, 2954. https://DoI.org/10.3390/rs13152954.
- Durand, M., Barros, A.P., Dozier, J., Adler, R., Cooley, S., Entekhabi, D., Forman, B.A., Konings, A.G., Kustas, W.P., Lundquist, J. D., Pavelsky, T.M., Rodell, M., Steele-Dunne, S., 2021: Achieving Breakthroughs in Global Hydrologic Science by Unlocking the Power of Multisensor, Multidisciplinary Earth Observations. AGU Advances, 2, e2021AV000455, https://DoI.org/10.1029/2021AV000455.
- Eghdami, M. and Barros, A.P., Pedro A. Jimenez, Timothy W. Juliano, Branko Kosovic, and Sue E. Haupt, 2022: Simulation of second-order turbulent properties of the surface layer for three-dimensional flow based on the Mellor and Yamada Model. Monthly Weather Review, https://DoI.org/10.1175/MWR-D-21-0101.1.
- Liao, M., and Barros A.P., 2022: Toward Optimal Rainfall- Hydrologic QPE correction in Headwater Basins. Remote Sensing of the Environ., 279, 113107, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2022.113107.
- Tsang, L., Durand, M., Derksen, C., Barros, A.P., Kang, D.H., and many others, 2022: Global Monitoring of Snow Water Equivalent using High Frequency Radar Remote Sensing. The Cryosphere, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-16-3531-2022.
- Cao, Y. and Barros, A.P., 2023: Topographic Controls on Active Microwave Behavior of Mountain Snowpacks. Remote Sensing of the Environ., 284, 113373. https://DoI.org: 10.1002/essoar.10511928.1; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2022.113373
- Associate Editor, IEEE J-STARS, 2016-2019
- AGU Advances, Editor, 2019-2024
- Fellow, American Meteorological Society (2008)
- Editors’ Citation for Excellence in Refereeing for Reviews of Geophysics (2011)
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union (2014)
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (2016)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2017)
- Member, National Academy of Engineering (2019)
- Agency Group Achievement Award (to Global Precipitation Measurement Post-Launch Team), NASA (2015)
- Borland Hydrology Award (2022 )