- Associate Professor
332 G Agricultural Engr Sciences Bld
For More Information
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, Iowa State University, 2008
- M.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2004
- B.S., Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2002
- Associate Professor, 2017-present, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Assistant Professor, 2008-2017, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- National Science Foundation PhD Graduate Fellow, 2004-2007, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University
- International Visiting Academic, 2005, Silsoe Research Institute, Silsoe, UK
- Engineer Associate, 2004, Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky
Other Professional Employment
- Engineer Associate, Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky, January 2004 – July 2004
- Co-Founder and President, TellTail, Inc, Champaign, Illinois, September 2018 – present
- Animal Housing & Animal Welfare
- Controlled Environment Engineering for Animals
- Development of Methods for Objective Quantification of Animal Well-Being
- Assessment of Animal-Environment Interactions
- Systematic Evaluation of Animal Housing
- Monitoring Technologies for Animal Physiological and Behavioral Response
- Environmental Control Systems Incorporating Animal Response Feedback
Selected Articles in Journals
- D Moura, LVS Barbosa, APA Maia, AR Green, WT da Silva, J Sarubbi, and JM Massari. 2019. Design and testing of a novel environmental preference chamber. Comput. Electron. Agric. 157: 23-37.
- Y Xiong, RS Gates and AR Green-Miller. Factors Affecting Interior Thermal Conditions Experienced by Market Weight Pigs Transported in the US under Different Weather Conditions. 2018. Animals 8(11):203. doi:10.3390/ani8110203
- H Chen, FF Yan, JY Hu, Yanan Wu, CM Tucker, AR Green and HW Cheng, 2017. Immune Response of Laying Hens Exposed to 30 ppm Ammonia for 25 Weeks. Intl Journal of Poultry Science 16: 139-146.
- YN Wu, FF Yan, JY Hu, H Chen, CM Tucker, AR Green, and HW Cheng. 2017. The effect of chronic ammonia exposure on acute phase proteins, immunoglobulin and cytokines in laying hens. Poultry Science 96(6):1524-1530.
- JS Johnson, DJ Taylor, AR Green, and BN Gaskill. 2017. Effects of nesting material on energy homeostasis in BALB/cAnNCrl, C57BL/6NCrl, and crl:CD1(ICR) mice housed at 20°C. JAALAS 56(3): 254-259.
- B Ji, W. Zheng, RS Gates, and AR Green. 2016. Design and performance of the upgraded portable monitoring unit for air quality in animal housing. Comput. Electron. Agric. 124:132-140.
- GDN Maia, BC Ramirez, AR Green, Y Sun, LF Rodriguez, DW Shike, and RS Gates. 2015. A Novel Ruminant Emission Measurement System: PART II - Commissioning. Trans. ASABE 58(6):1801-1815.
- JR Segers, TL Felix, AR Green, GN Maia, BC Ramirez, and DW Shike. 2015. Effect of dietary fat concentration from condensed corn distillers solubles, during the growing phase, on beef cattle performance, carcass traits, digestibility, and ruminal metabolism. J. Anim. Sci. 93(8):3990-4001.
- Y Xiong, AR Green, and RS Gates. 2015. Characteristics of Trailer Thermal Environment during Commercial Swine Transport Managed Under US Industry Guidelines. Special Edition on Pig Transport in Animals. 5(2):226-244.
- GDN Maia, BC Ramirez, AR Green, LF Rodriguez, JR Segers, DW Shike, and RS Gates. 2015. A Novel Ruminant Emission Measurement System: Part I - Design Evaluation and Description. Trans. ASABE. 58(3):749-762.
- GT Sales, AR Green, RS Gates, TM Brown-Brandl, RA Eigenberg. 2015. Quantifying detection performance of a passive low-frequency RFID system in an environmental preference chamber for laying hens. Comput. Electron. Agric. 114:261-268.
- T Liu, AR Green, LF Rodríguez, BC Ramirez, DW Shike. 2014. Effects of number of animals monitored on representations of cattle group movement characteristics and spatial occupancy. PLOS One. 10(2): e0113117.
- BC Ramirez, GDN Maia, AR Green, DW Shike, LF Rodríguez, and RS Gates. 2014. Technical note: design and validation of a precision orifice meter for ventilation rate control in open-circuit respiration chambers. Trans. ASABE. 57(6): 1865-1872.
- MA Kashiha, AR Green, GT Sales, C Bahr, D Berckmans, RS Gates. 2014. Performance of an Image Analysis Processing System for Hen Tracking in an Environmental Preference Chamber. Poult. Sci. 93(10):2439-2448.
- KW Koelkebeck, S. dePersio, K Lima, PC Harrison, C Utterback, P Utterback, RN Dilger, R Gates, A Green, and J.M. Campbell. 2014. Evaluation of feeding spray-dried bovine plasma protein on production performance of laying hens exposed to high ambient temperatures. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 23(3):393-402.
- H Webster, D Morin, V Jarrell, C Shipley, L Brown, A Green, R Wallace, P Constable. 2013. Effects of local anesthesia and flunixin meglumine on the acute cortisol response, behavior, and performance of young dairy calves undergoing surgical castration. J. Dairy Sci. 96(10): 6285-6300.
- GT Sales, AR Green, RS Gates. 2013. Commissioning an animal preference chamber for behavioral studies with laying hens exposed to atmospheric ammonia. Comput. Electron. Agric. 95: 48-57.
- H Xin, RS Gates, AR Green, FM Mitloehner, PA Moore Jr. and CM Wathes. 2010. Environmental impacts and sustainability of egg production systems. In: Emerging Issues: Social Sustainability of Egg Production Symposium. Poult. Sci. 90(1):263-277.
- AR Green, H Xin. 2009. Effects of stocking density and group size on heat and moisture production of laying hens under thermoneutral and heat-challenging conditions. Trans. ASABE. 52(6):2027-2032.
- AR Green, H Xin. 2009. Effects of stocking density and group size on thermoregulatory responses of laying hens under heat-challenging conditions. Trans. ASABE. 52(6):2033-2038.
- AR Green, I Wesley, DW Trampel, H Xin. 2009. Air quality and bird health status in three types of commercial egg layer houses. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 18(3):605–621.
- AR Green, CM Wathes, TGM Demmers, J MacArthur-Clark, H Xin. 2008. Development and application of a novel environmental preference chamber for assessing responses of laboratory mice to atmospheric ammonia. JAALAS. 47(2):49-56.
- AR Green, RS Gates, LM Lawrence, EF Wheeler. 2008. Continuous recording reliability analysis of three monitoring systems for horse core body temperature. Comput. Electron. Agric. 61(2):88-95.
- AR Green, RS Gates, LM Lawrence. 2007. Equine thermoregulatory responses during summertime road transport and stall confinement. Brazilian J. Biosys. Eng. 1(1):83-92.
- AR Green, RS Gates, LM Lawrence. 2005. Measurement of horse core body temperature. J. Therm. Biol. 30(5):370-377.
- ASABE New Face of Engineering and E-week New Face of Engineering Finalist, 2009 (2009)
- ABE Graduate Student Organization Outstanding Advisor, 2017-18 (2017-18)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students. TSM 372 Environmental Control and HVAC Systems. Fall 2018 (Fall 2018)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students. TSM 311 Humanity in the Food Web. Fall 2015, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018. (Fall 2015, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018.)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students. ABE 374 Environmental Control for Buildings. Spring 2013 (Spring 2013)
Recent Courses Taught
- ABE 100 - Intro Agric & Biological Engrg
- ABE 474 - Indoor Environmental Control
- ANSC 215 - Animal Welfare Assessment
- ETMA 311 (TSM 311) - Humanity in the Food Web
- ETMA 598 (TSM 598) - Measuring Animal Behavior
- TSM 372 - Environ Control & HVAC Systems
- TSM 499 - Animal Welfare Principles