Walter R. Peirson
Executive Vice President, Standard Oil Company (Indiana), Chicago, Illinois
BS, Mechanical Engineering, 1950
After graduation, Mr. Peirson spent two years with Deere & Co. where a number of pieces of equipment which he designed or redesigned were put into production; he received two patents for his work done there. In 1952 he returned to UIUC to attend law school. He received his J.D. with honors in 1955 and joined Standard Oil (Indiana) as an attorney. In 1961 he became executive vice president of General Gas Corporation and later president and chief executive officer. General Gas was acquired by Tuloma Gas Products Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Standard Oil (Indiana), in 1964, and Mr. Peirson became president and chief executive officer. During the four years of his leadership, the sales volume of this company increased sevenfold. Tuloma merged with Amoco Oil Company in 1968 and he held several positions before becoming president and chief executive officer. During his ten years at Amoco, volume increased from 895,000 to 1,223,000 barrels per day and the return on borrowed and invested capital increased from 5.7 to 11.3 percent. He assumed his present position in 1978.
Mr. Peirson is chairman of the board of The Farm Foundation and of the National 4-H Council. In 1974 he was honored as a distinguished alumnus by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and was so honored by the College of Law in 1976.
Current as of 1981.