New Student Registration (NSR): Transfer

Registration Details


May 30th - June 2nd, 2023

Program Format

Summer and Fall 2022 incoming students will participate in Transfer New Student Registration (NSR) either on campus or virtually. Students within driving distance are encouraged to attend an on-campus program. Those who cannot or choose not to attend on campus have the option to participate online. 

Select “On-Campus” as your option if you would like to visit the UIUC campus for your New Student Registration. Select “Online” as your option if you are unable to travel to campus and wish to do online advising and course registration. Students who want to participate online and do not see the option available should submit the Conflict Form to request online availability.


If you have a conflict with all dates offered for Transfer NSR, you should submit the Conflict Form to explain your situation. We strongly encourage you to make yourself available during one of the dates offered to avoid having to delay your registration.

Preparing for Registration

Please read through the information below to prepare for your Registration date.

Placement Tests

Most Grainger Engineering transfer students do not need to complete any placement tests. If you have completed coursework in calculus, chemistry, and physics, you are not required to take placement tests in these subjects.

If you received an email stating you are required to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and do not have credit for Composition I, you must take the exam and should follow the placement recommendation. If you have credit for Composition I, you are not required to take the EPT.

Students who plan to enroll in a language other than English (LOTE) course and would like to enroll above the first-level course may need to take a placement test for that language.

Learn more information about placement tests for transfer students.

Course Articulation

Many courses from other colleges and universities have already been evaluated for transfer credit at UIUC. You can see how your courses transfer to UIUC on your Transfer Course Report (available on your myIllini account). 

You can also view your transferable coursework and how it applies to your degree requirements in your degree audit. Your audit will update if there are any changes made to your transferable coursework.

Transfer coursework which has not been reviewed will show on your Report and your degree audit as TENG 1--, TLAS 1--, etc. To have these courses officially evaluated, you will submit syllabi to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. There is a link on your myIllini account that can be used to submit syllabi.

Course reviews can take several weeks or longer to complete. We recommend submitting the syllabi for courses that need to be reviewed as soon as possible.

Test Scores

If you plan to apply test-based credit toward degree requirements, you must have the official test scores sent to the university directly from the testing agency. We strongly recommend that you send these scores prior to your New Student Registration appointment. If any of your scores will be used to meet pre-requisite requirements for higher level courses, it will be important that we have the official scores so that you can register for all of your classes.

College Pre-Registration Worksheet

The pre-registration worksheet is required to be completed 2 weeks prior to your New Student Registration day (available in myIllini).

Residency Requirement

To earn a bachelor’s degree from UIUC, you must earn a minimum of 60 hours of UIUC credit. Of these hours, at least 21 hours must be 300 and 400 level courses at UIUC. You should consider these requirements as you work with your advisor and plan your coursework each term.

Online Registration Checklist


  • Download Zoom Client to work with your advisor and participate in Registration activities.
  • Decide on a quiet place to use for your appointment. You may want to have headphones available to reduce noise.
  • Convert meetings times to your local time:

  • Time: 9:00 am CDT (Central Daylight Time)
  • A Zoom link for the presentation will be provided to you approximately 5 days before your Registration date.
    • You must attend the college information session in order to have your student hold removed.
    • You can use your microphone and/or the chat feature during the information session.

Step 3: Meet With Your Department 

  • Time: Department meetings will be scheduled throughout the day, so you should keep your availability open to avoid conflicts. Meetings will take place after the college information session and conclude before 5pm.
  • You will receive an email approximately 5 days before your New Student Registration day including online location details.
    • You can use your microphone and/or the chat feature during your department meeting.
    • Your advisor may share their screen. Feel free to take screenshots to save information for later.

  • Your new student hold will be lifted after your advising appointment.
  • You should attempt to complete registration for any summer/fall coursework on the day of your advising appointment.
  • Go to the Self-Service App (select UIUC) and login with your NetID and Password to register for your classes.
  • Join the Registration Help Room for help with registering for classes, course overrides, and questions.
    • We will send you a link to the Help Room prior to your Registration Date. We will also share the link during the college information session.

Contact Information

New Student Registration is facilitated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and The Grainger College of Engineering. You may receive emails to your Illinois email account and/or your personal account (the one provided on your application). To ensure you receive all communications from the university, you should regularly check both email accounts.

Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

Contact Grainger Engineering:

Frequently Asked Questions


Yes, Transfer NSR is required. All new, degree-seeking undergraduate students entering in summer or fall must participate in a New Student Registration session to enroll in courses.

All new students have a new student advising hold to prevent them from signing up for classes before meeting with their advisor. We will remove the hold on your New Student Registration date.

The purpose of a proficiency exam is to find out whether you have mastered the knowledge and skills at a level that justifies awarding credit for a particular Illinois course. If you pass a proficiency exam, it is assumed you are prepared to succeed in the subject’s subsequent courses. Even if you choose not to continue studying the subject, the proficiency test-based credit will likely count towards graduation hours, and it might even fulfill a General Education requirement. Proficiency exam credit will not count toward the university’s residency requirement. More information about the academic policies for proficiency exams can be found in the Student Code:

Tests are administered on campus, often the week before classes start or during the first week of classes.

Proficiency exams are offered only in certain subject areas. The list of proficiency exams, requirements to take the exam, and the times, dates, and location of an exam and registration deadlines can be found at

You can view your Transfer Course Report on your myIllini. Your Report is part of the application process and may not be updated if any changes are made to your coursework.

For an official review of your coursework and how it applies toward graduation requirements, you should review your degree audit.

To view your degree audit, login with your NetID and password, select your major, and run a report.

Self-Service provides students access to their personal and academic information. Students can register for classes, view class schedules, pay fees, see financial aid information, get grades and transcripts, and update their contact information. Log in at using your Net ID and password.

You can use either system to register for classes. However, Enhanced Registration is generally more user friendly and easier to work with.

Using Classic Registration, you can add or drop classes using their CRN (a 5-digit ID) number.

Using Enhanced Registration, you can view your registration status, create schedule plans for future semesters, browse classes while registering, use the schedule generator to view potential class schedules, and view your current class schedule.

Learn more about how to use both registration options in Self-Service.

The most common ways to satisfy the graduation requirement for a language other than English (LOTE) are to:

  • Have successfully completed the third level of a language other than English in high school (e.g., Spanish 3)
  • Successfully complete a third-semester, college-level course in a language other than English at Illinois.
  • Submit transferable course credit from language courses (through the third level) taken at another college or university.
  • Demonstrate proficiency at the third-semester, college-level in an approved language proficiency examination. A placement test is required before taking a language proficiency examination.
  • Submit transcript records showing completion of one full academic year at an institution where a language other than English is the language of instruction.
  • If you have questions on the language requirement for graduation, consult with your department advisor and/or college advising and records staff during New Student Registration.

There are two main layers of advising for engineering students.  You have at least one advisor at the department level that is specific to your major: Some majors also have faculty advisors and mentors to provide additional guidance and advice. 

The Undergraduate Programs Office (UPO) has a team of college-level advisors available to assist you through express advising and appointments:

You will meet with your department advisor(s) during NSR. Both department and college advisors are here to assist in answering any questions you have throughout your time as a UIUC student.


Visit Undergraduate Admissions admitted student FAQs

Visit College Advising in Grainger Engineering

Campus Resources

Disability Resources & Education Services (DRES)

The mission of DRES is to ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are afforded an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the programs, services and activities of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign through the identification and enactment of reasonable modifications to institutional policies and procedures, the provision of effective auxiliary aids and services, the establishment of innovative educational services, and the pursuit of interdisciplinary disability research.

Learn more

Office of Dean of Students (ODOS)

A central place for all life events and questions. The Office of the Dean of Students seeks to facilitate the integration of the academic experience of students with all aspects of university and student life. The Office facilitates interactions among students, faculty and staff to promote a campus climate which supports students' academic success and their personal and professional development. 

Learn more

McKinley Health Center (MHC)

Using McKinley couldn't be easier. If you're sick and think you need to visit McKinley, in most cases you'll start by contacting Dial-A-Nurse at 217-333-2700. This health care professional will answer many of your questions and suggest a course of action including scheduling an appointment if indicated. You can also schedule an appointment yourself on-line or by phone

Learn more

Counseling Center 

The Counseling Center is committed to providing a range of services intended to help students develop improved coping skills in order to address emotional, interpersonal, and academic concerns. The Counseling Center provides individual, couples, and group counseling. All of these services are paid for through the health services fee. The Counseling Center offers primarily short-term counseling, but we do provide referrals to the community when students could benefit from longer term services.

Learn more