Fall 2022 Events
Virtual event: September 23, 2:00-5:30 PM CST
In-person visit: October 27-28, 2022
Grainger Engineering is one of the world's top-ranked engineering colleges. Our students, faculty, and alumni set the standard for excellence. We drive the economy, reimagine engineering education, and bring revolutionary ideas to the world.
Each fall, the MERGE Program invites a group of prospective students which includes women, persons from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in STEM, and people of all physical abilities to connect with representatives and current graduate students from their programs of interest, learn about our application process, and explore grad school funding.
Virtual event: Friday, September 23, 2022
2:00 - 5:30 PM CST
- Live virtual visit for all participants on September 23, 2022.
- View the agenda.
On-campus visit event: October 27-28, 2022
- A select group of MERGE participants will be invited to attend an on-campus follow-up visit on October 27-28, 2022, sponsored by The Grainger College of Engineering.
All MERGE participants are eligible for an application fee waiver when applying to a Grainger Engineering graduate program.
MERGE participants who enroll in a Grainger Engineering graduate program will be eligible for $700 of professional development funds unless they participated in the sponsored MERGE campus visit in October 2022.
Applications for the Fall 2023 MERGE event will open around May 1, 2023.
To apply to the MERGE program you must be:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled or recently completed an accredited curriculum in engineering, computer science, or physics
Preference will be given to individuals who will be graduating in the coming year, with a GPA of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 point scale), and individuals whose cultural background will increase the diversity of the graduate student body - for example, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latina/Latino/Latinx, Native American or Alaska Native, Other Pacific Islander, women, or persons with disabilities.
To receive full consideration, we advise that all application materials should be submitted as soon as possible. The following items must be provided within your application:
- An unofficial transcript
- A statement of no more than two pages addressing your plans for graduate study, including research interests, career goals, relevant coursework completed, and other educational experiences
- A detailed resume that outlines research experiences, internships, publications, and leadership experiences
Grainger Engineering's IDEA supports scholarship, innovation, collaboration, and leadership in the areas of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access at all levels. Learn more...
The GEM National Consortium Fellowships provide financial support and summer internship opportunities for MS and Ph.D. level students. Learn more...
Unique "Micro-Urban" Community
Urbana-Champaign is on an accelerated development track, emerging as a leading example of a "micro-urban" community—a population center of less than 250,000 with a set of highly desirable attributes commonly found in larger cities. Our vibrant arts/culture/nightlife scene, internationally diverse population, strong technology base, and commitment to societal issues coupled with a world-class university make this an ideal place to live, study, and work.
True Interdisciplinary Spirit
We're home to numerous research centers, multidisciplinary research efforts, and many advanced laboratories. Interdisciplinary discovery is a topic of conversation at every university today. At Illinois, it isn't just talk. It's a way of life. Here it's possible to redefine success, and invent new ways of working with colleagues from across campus in almost any field, for almost any reason.
Graduate Program Rankings
The graduate engineering program at The Grainger College of Engineering is ranked #10 overall in the U.S. News & World Report (published March 2022). The following list includes our ranked graduate engineering degree programs and specialties. Note: U.S. News & World Report does not include Computer Science graduate degree programs in their rankings.
- Ranked Degree Programs
- #7Aerospace Engineering
- #7Agricultural and Biological Engineering
- #12Chemical Engineering
- #2Civil Engineering
- #4 Computer Engineering
- #4 Electrical Engineering
- #3 Environmental Engineering
- #14 Industrial Engineering
- #6 Materials Science and Engineering
- #4 Mechanical Engineering / Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- #6Nuclear Engineering
- #9 Physics
- Ranked specialties
- #8 Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence
- #5 Computer Science - Programming Language
- #5 Computer Science - Systems
- #8 Computer Science - Theory
- #10 Physics - Atomic / Molecular / Optical
- #1 Physics - Condensed Matter
- #4 Physics - Nuclear
- #12 Physics - Quantum
- #14 Physics - Elementary Particles/Fields/String Theory