332C Agricultural Engr Sciences Bld
332C Agricultural Engr Sciences Bld
For more information
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1989
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1985
- B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Shandong Institute of Technology, China, 1978
- Founder Professor in Agricultural Engineering, 2020-present, Grainger College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Professor, 2003-date, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Affiliate, Bioengineering Dept, Mechanical Science and Engineering Dept and Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Associate Professor, 1996-2003, Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Research Scientist - Engineering and Adjunct Professor, 1992-1996, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Research Associate, 1990-1992, Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1989-1990, Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Indoor air quality, effect of indoor air quality on occupants, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning control. His team has developed and continued research on aerodynamic filter-less air cleaning; and three-dimensional, near-real-time volumetric particle tracking velocimetry (VPTV) for room air flow measurement and modeling. His book, Indoor Air Quality Engineering, has been used as textbook in several universities.
- Professor Zhang has pioneered the research in Environment-Enhancing Energy (E2-Energy), in which he combines waste treatment, water cleaning, carbon dioxide sequestration and biofuel conversion into one process. He has successfully converted biowaste including animal and human waste, food processing waste and algae into crude oil using thermochemical conversion (TCC) much similar to mother-natureâ€™s petroleum-formation, but in a few minutes rather than geological years. Professor Zhangâ€™s research is to enhance the quality of living by focusing on the immediate environment of living things, people, animal and plants.
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2005. Boca, Raton, Fla: CRC Press. (635 pages)
- Solutions manual for Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2005 London: CRC.
- Thermochemical conversion of swine manure to produce fuel and reduce waste : project report Zhang, Y., Riskowski, G. & Funk, T. 1999 Urbana, Il: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Extract Nitrogen-Containing Compounds in Biocrude Oil Converted from Wet Biowaste via Hydrothermal Liquefaction Chen, W. T., Tang, L., Qian, W., Scheppe, K., Nair, K., Wu, Z., Gai, C., Zhang, P. & Zhang, Y. Apr 4 2016 In : ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering. 4, 4, p. 2182-2190 9 p.
- On the Lagrangian features of circular and semicircular jets via 3D Particle Tracking Velocimetry Kim, J. T., Zhang, Z., Liberzon, A., Zhang, Y. & Chamorro, L. P. Oct 1 2016 In : Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 77, p. 306-316 11 p.
- Endowed Innoventor Professor in Engineering, College of Engineering and College of ACES, University of Illinois, 2011
- Fellow, American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers, 2008
- Henry Giese Award, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, 2008
- Blue Ribbon Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1998
- General Electric Scholar, U of I College of Engineering, 1997
- ABE 225 - ABE Principles: Bioenvironment
- ABE 476 - Indoor Air Quality Engineering
- ABE 501 - Graduate Research I
- ABE 594 - Graduate Seminar
- TSM 372 - Environ Control & HVAC Systems
- TSM 501 - Graduate Research I
- TSM 594 - Graduate Seminar