360 L Agricultural Engr Sciences Bld
For more information
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Jilin University, 1982
- M.Eng., Mechanical Engineering, Jilin University of Technology, 1988
- Ph.D., Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1995
- Assistant Professor, 1985-1990, Mechanical Engineering Department, Jilin University of Technology
- Engineer (part time), 1991-1992, Moller International Inc., Davis, CA
- Research Assistant (50%), 1990-1994, Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, University of California
- Research Associate, 1992-1993, Agricultural Engineering Department, CalPoly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
- Postdoctoral Researcher, 1995, Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, University of California
- Assistant Professor, 1995-2002, Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Director, 2000-date, Illinois Laboratory for Agricultural Remote Sensing
- Associate Professor, 2002-date, Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE), Member
- International Institutes for Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ILASS), Member
- Multi-state Research Coordinating Committee and Information Exchange Group NCERA-180, Member (2000 â€“ present);Vice Chair (2011 â€“ 2012); Chair (2012 â€“ 2013)
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE), Member
- American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS), Member
Other Professional Activities
- Central Illinois Chinese Association, Board member , 2003 - 2004
- University of Illinois Chinese Heritage Association, President, 2001 â€“ 2002
Chapters in Books
- Preharvest monitoring of biomass production Li, L., Tian, L. & Ahamed, T. Oct 1 2013 Engineering and Science of Biomass Feedstock Production and Provision. Springer New York, p. 61-83 23 p.
- Remote sensing applications of estimating biomass for energy crops: Development of ground-based sensing systems Ahamed, T., Tian, L., Ryozo, N. & Takigawa, T. Mar 2013 Remote Sensing: Techniques, Applications and Technologies. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 31-53 23 p.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Development of methods to improve soybean yield estimation and predict plant maturity with an unmanned aerial vehicle based platform Yu, N., Li, L., Schmitz, N., Tian, L. F., Greenberg, J. A. & Diers, B. W. Dec 15 2016 In : Remote Sensing of Environment. 187, p. 91-101 11 p.
- Additional yaw moment control of a 4WIS and 4WID agricultural data acquisition vehicle Jiang, D., Li, D., Wang, S., Tian, L. & Yang, L. Jun 24 2015 In : International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems. 12
- Yao, H, L. TIAN, G. Wang, I. Colonna. 2014. Estimation of Soil Fertility Using Collocated Cokriging by Combining Aerial Hyperspectral Imagery and Soil Sample Data. Applied Engineering in Agriculture. Vol. 30 (1) page: 113
- Jiang, D. L. TIAN. 2014. Development of a 3D Ego-motion Estimation System for an Autonomous Agricultural Vehicle. 2014. Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 121 (May 2014), Pages 150â€“159
- Ahamed, T., L. TIAN, Y. Jiang, B. Zhao, H. Liu, KC Ting. 2012. Tower Remote Sensing System for Monitoring Energy Crops; Image Acquisition and Geometric Corrections, Biosystems Engineering 2012, VOL 112; NUMB 2, pages 93-107
- Xiong, Y., L. TIAN, T. Ahamed, B. Zhao. 2012. Development of the Reconfigurable Data Acquisition Vehicle for Bioenergy Crop Sensing and Management. ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. (Jan, 2012) Vol. 134 / 015001-1-7
- Xiang, H. and L. TIAN. 2011. An automated stand-alone in-field remote sensing system (SIRSS) for in-season crop monitoring Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. Vol. 78 (1), August 2011, Pages 1â€“8
- Jeon H., L. TIAN and H. Zhu. 2011. Robust Crop and Weed Segmentation under Uncontrolled Outdoor Illumination. Sensors 2011, 11, 6270-6283; doi: 10.3390 /s110606270
- Xiang, H. and L. TIAN. 2011. Development of a low-cost agricultural remote sensing system based on an autonomous unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). Biosystems Engineering. Volume 108, Issue 2, February 2011, Pages 174â€“190
- Xiang, H. and L. TIAN. 2011. Method for automatic georeferencing aerial remote sensing (RS) images from an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) platform. Biosystems Engineering, Volume 108, Issue 2, February 2011, Pages 104-113
- Ahamed, T. L. TIAN, Y. Jiang, H. Liu, B. Zhao, K.C. Ting. 2010. Development of Stand Alone Tower Remote Sensing for Energy Crops. Paper Number 1008734, ASABE Annual International Meeting, June 20-23, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Ahamed, T. L. TIAN, C. Gadanah, F.A.C. Pinto, H. Liu, K.C. Ting. 2010. Spectral Sensing for Dry Matter Biomass Estimation of Energy Crops. Paper Number 1008737, ASABE Annual International Meeting, June 20-23, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Wang, Q., Q. Zhang, F. Mas, and L. TIAN. A method to estimate heading direction for stereovision-based navigation in open agriculture fields. ASABE Paper number 1008559, 2010 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 20 - June 23, 2010.
- Jeon, H. Y., and L. TIAN. 2009. A Direct Chemical Application Field Robot for Precise Weed Control. Biosystems Engineering (2009), doi:10.1016
- Ahamed, T. L. TIAN, T. Takigawa, Y. Zhang. 2009. Development of Auto-Hitching Navigation System for Farm Implements Using Laser Range Finder. Transactions of the ASABE. 52(5): 1793-1803.
- Yu, N., L Li, N. Schmitz, L. TIAN, J. Greenberg, B. Diers. 2016. Development of methods to improve soybean yield estimation and predict plant maturity with an unmanned aerial vehicle based platform. Remote Sensing of Environment 187 (2016) 91-101
- Nominee, Kinsella Memorial Prize (1995)
- Outstanding Accomplishment (1997)
- ASAE Superior Paper Award (1999-2000)
- Graduate College Outstanding Mentor Award (1999-2000)
- NSF/NCSA Faculty Fellow (2000-2001)
- Honored Professor (2002 -)
- Adjunct Professor (2004-)
- ASABE Superior Paper Award (2009)
- ABE 498 - Precision Agric Technology
- ABE 498 - Precision Biosystems Engr II
- ABE 498 - Special Topics
- TSM 464 - Engine and Tractor Power
- TSM 465 - Chemical Applications Systems
- TSM 467 - Precision Agric Technology