Brian S Mercer
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering University of California, Los Angeles 2010
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering University of California, Berkeley 2013
- Ph. D. Mechanical Engineering University of California, Berkeley 2016
- Lecturer University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 2018-present
Other Professional Employment
- Research Engineer, Applied Research Institute, 2016-2018
- ME 330
- ME 371
- ME 471
- TAM 201
- TAM 251
- TAM 470
- Engineering Education
- Computational solid mechanics
- Finite element methods
- Multiscale modeling
- Molecular dynamics
Selected Articles in Journals
- P. Priya, B. Mercer, S. Huang, M. Aboukhatwa, L. Yuan, S. Chaudhuri. "Towards prediction of microstructure during laser based additive manufacturing process of Co-Cr-Mo powder beds". Materials & Design, Volume 196, 109117.
- B. Mercer, K. K. Mandadapu, and P. Papadopoulos. “Novel Formulations of Microscopic Boundary-Value Problems in Multiscale Finite Element Methods” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Volume 286, April 2015, pp. 268-292.
- B. Mercer, K. K. Mandadapu, and P. Papadopoulos. “Homogenization of high-frequency wave propagation in linearly elastic layered media using a continuum Irving-Kirkwood theory” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 96, October 2016, pp. 162-172.
- B. Mercer, E. Zywicz, and P. Papadopoulos. “Molecular dynamics modeling of PPTA crystallite mechanical properties in the presence of defects” Polymer, Volume 114, April 2017, pp. 329-347.
- B. Mercer, E. Zywicz, and P. Papadopoulos. “A molecular dynamics-based analysis of the influence of strain-rate and temperature on the mechanical strength of PPTA crystallites” Polymer, Volume 129, October 2017, pp. 92-104.
- List of teachers ranked as excellent by their students: TAM 470 (Fall 2021)
- List of teachers ranked as excellent by their students: ME 371 (Spring 2020, Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022 )
- List of teachers ranked as excellent by their students - TAM 251 (Spring 2019, Summer 2019, Fall 2019 )
- List of teachers ranked as excellent by their students: ME 330 (Fall 2018, Fall 2019, Spring 2021, Fall 2022 )
- Collins Scholar Program (2018-2019) - Academy for Excellence in Engineering Education
Recent Courses Taught
- ME 330 AL1 (ME 330 AL2, ME 330 OL1) - Engineering Materials
- ME 371 - Mechanical Design II
- ME 471 (AE 420, CSE 451) - Finite Element Analysis
- TAM 201 - Mechanics for Technol & Mgmt
- TAM 251 - Introductory Solid Mechanics
- TAM 470 (CSE 450) - Computational Mechanics