New First-Year Student Registration


New Student Registration is required for each student that accepts admission to enroll at Illinois. This is your time to officially become a student at the University of Illinois.  During your registration day you’ll learn about curriculum requirements for your major, classes required graduate, and receive your 1st schedule of classes.


New Student Registration online is  due to the impacts of the pandemic for summer 2021. Exact locations (zoom links) will be sent to you via email in your confirmation emails 4 business days in advance.



New Student Registration takes place June – mid July and the week before classes for first year students.  Departments offer advising on certain dates during this time period.  The dates you see when you sign-up via your Admitted Student Checklist are the dates your department offers that still has spots available. If you are interested in registering for summer classes at UIUC (classes start June 14th) you must submit a Term Change form via your MyIllini account. It has to be approved by The Office of Admission and your Registration Date has to be the week of June 7 – 11th.


If you have a conflict with all dates offered contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission. We strongly encourage you to make yourself available during one of the dates offered to avoid having to wait until August for registration.

Advising Appointments

You will receive your advising appoint via email 4 business days before your Registration Date. Be sure to check your Illinois email account as well as the email you used to apply.  Check your spam and junk mail folders as well.  If you still haven’t received a notification email  

Orientation Programs

How (Steps to Register for classes)

  • Engineering Registration Team will arrange an appointment on your behalf with your department advisor or a college advisor.  This appointment could be online or in-person.
    • Online: You will be emailed your exact appointment time CDT and advising 4 business days before your registration date.
    • In-Person: You will receive your exact appointment time, location, and advisor the day of the program.  Please arrive to the designated location you’ve received from the Office of Undergraduate Admission to start your Registration Day.

Learn about courses offered specifically for you through the Grainger First-Year Experience office.


New Student Registration is facilitated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (OUA) and your college (The Grainger College of Engineering). You will receive emails (to your account) at any time from representatives from either of these offices. 

Office of Undergraduate Admission - New Student Registration Resource Page
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

  • To sign up for date/reschedule
  • To resolve scheduling conflict with the dates offered for registration
  • To resolve technical issues with your MyIllini Account and/or placement test
  • To submit AP/IB/A-level scores and transcripts

The Grainger College of Engineering Wiki - First-Year Student Advising Resource Page (available June 1, 2021)
Contact the Grainger College of Engineering: 

  • To resolve conflict with the time assigned for your advising appointment
  • To receive help registering for courses after being advised (i.e. overrides, navigating system, finding classes, etc.)
  • To resolve technical issues with online college homework

WHY: New Student FAQ


Yes, registration is required. All new, degree-seeking undergraduate students entering in summer or fall must participate in a New Student Registration session.

All new students have a new student advising hold to prevent them from signing up for classes before meeting with their advisor. After that meeting your hold will be lifted within 12 hours.

  • Illinois offers a variety of introductory-level courses, even within the same subject. The purpose of placement testing is to determine which of those introductory-level courses is right for you. Placement exams are to be completed two weeks before your summer registration appointment.
  • Incoming first-time new freshmen in Engineering are required to take placement exams as described in the chart below. Having taken AP, IB or A-level classes or tests in these subjects DO NOT exempt students from placement exams.
  • If results from your AP, IB, or A-level exam and your placement exam generate conflicting placement messages, discuss your options with your academic advisor.
  • You can find out more information and access the links to sign up for placement exams at

All new first-year Grainger Engineering students are required to take the math (ALEKS), chemistry, and physics placement exams.  We use your results in conjunction with your advance credits, test scores, and/or dual credit to determine the best academic fit for you to start off your first semester.  Being successful your 1st semester of classes is important as we’ve found it in our data that how you do your 1st semester is indicative of how you’ll do remaining semesters as curriculum becomes more challenging. In addition, some advance credit at the high school level do not cover the entirety of the course at the college level.  Our math, physics, and chemistry courses are all prerequisites to our engineering course. A strong foundation in these course concepts is imperative.

  • The purpose of a proficiency exam is to find out whether you have mastered the knowledge and skills at a level that justifies awarding credit for a particular Illinois course. If you pass a proficiency exam, it is assumed you are prepared to succeed in the subject’s subsequent courses. Even if you choose not to continue studying the subject, the proficiency test-based credit will likely count towards graduation hours, and it might even fulfill a General Education requirement.
  • Tests are administered on campus, often the week before classes start or during the first week of classes.
  • Proficiency exams are offered only in certain subject areas. They are taken on-campus and in-person. The list of proficiency exams, requirements to take the exam, and the times, dates, and location of an exam and registration deadlines can be found at

  • Students can be awarded academic credit in certain subjects based on scores on the ACT or SAT, the Advanced Placement (AP) exams, the International Baccalaureate (IB) exams, and certain Advanced Level (A-Level) exams.
  • The exams must have been taken prior to enrolling in a college or university. Scores will be evaluated for credit when they are received by the university, and any credit earned will be automatically posted to your academic record. Some AP and IB scores earn elective credit, while others earn course credit. All credit counts towards graduation.
  • For more information see OR

By completing your college homework and working with your advisor on your registration day, you’ll be able to predict your AP or IB test results. We also have required placement tests that will help determine your placement in the absence of AP results. If you need to adjust your schedule after receiving official AP results, you can do so by consulting with an academic advisor after arriving on campus in the fall.

  • DARS is an acronym for a program called the Degree Audit Report System and checks your progress toward a specific degree. A DARS report shows all the requirements needed to receive a degree and which college-level credit and courses have been used to satisfy those requirements.
  • To view you DARS Report, go to and log in with your Net ID and password. You will then select your major program and run a report.
  • Watch this video on HOW to navigate your college credits (Video)

Also known as “Self-Service,” Enterprise provides students access to their personal and academic information. Students can register for classes, view class schedules, pay fees, see financial aid information, get grades and transcripts, and update their contact information. Log in at using your Net ID and password.

  • You can use either system to register for classes. However, Enhanced Registration is generally more user friendly and easier to work with.
  • Using Classic Registration, you can add or drop classes using their CRN (a 5-digit ID) number.
  • Using Enhanced Registration, you can view your registration status, create schedule plans for future semesters, browse classes while registering, use the schedule generator to view potential class schedules, and view your current class schedule.

  • General Education requirements for engineering students include Composition I, Advanced Composition, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Humanities and the Arts, and Cultural Studies.
  • Composition I credit is fulfilled through one of the following course sets
    • Rhetoric 100, 101, and 102
    • Rhetoric 103 and 104
    • Rhetoric 105
    • Communication 111 and 112
    • English as a Second Language 111 and 112
    • English as a Second Language 115
    • Rhet 105 (and hence Composition 1) credit is obtained if your SAT EBRW score is at least 700 OR if the sum of the ACT English score and ACT Reading score is at least 64.
  • Advanced composition isn’t usually fulfilled until the junior or senior year. For many engineering majors, advanced composition credit is earned through an upper-level course specifically required for their major and designated as an advanced composition course. Some engineering majors select from a larger list of courses with that designation.
  • Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS), Humanities and the Arts (HUM), liberal education courses must total to at least 18 hours and
    • at least 6 of those credit hours must be labeled as SBS; usually two courses.
    • at least 6 of those credit hours must labeled as HUM; usually two courses.
    • up to 6 credit hours can be labeled as liberal education courses.
    • The sum of credits taken in SBS, HUM, and Liberal Education must be at least 18. This is usually six courses.
  • For Cultural Studies, you must take at least one course from each of three categories: Western/Comparative Cultures, Non-Western Cultures, and US Minority Cultures. These can be double counted with SBS and HUM courses. For example, if you take HUM course with a Non-Western label, it counts toward both requirements.
    • Engineers fulfill campus requirements for courses in Natural Sciences & Technology and Quantitative Reasoning by taking the engineering, math, and science requirements of their engineering major.
    • Depending on the major, there will be varying numbers of required hours of free electives.
  • For more detailed information visit: OR Watch this informational video about GenEd Requirements.

The most common ways to satisfy the graduation requirement for a language other than English (LOTE) are to:

  • Have successfully completed the third-level of a language other than English in high school (e.g., Spanish 3)
  • Successfully complete a third-semester, college-level course in a language other than English at Illinois.
  • Submit transferable course credit from language courses (through the third level) taken at another college or university.
  • Demonstrate proficiency at the third-semester, college-level in an approved language proficiency examination. A placement test is required before taking a language proficiency examination.
  • Submit transcript records showing completion of one full academic year at an institution where a language other than English is the language of instruction.
  • If you have questions on the language requirement for graduation, visit 206 Engineering Hall and ask to consult with Records Staff regarding the language requirement.

  • Prerequisites are classes that you are required to take before you can enroll in a specific course. These requirements are to help ensure that you are prepared to succeed in your courses.
  • Prerequisites and concurrent registration requirements will be enforced for The Grainger College of Engineering courses through the Enterprise/Self-Service System in addition to checks that your department conducts.
  • If you try to register for courses without having met the prerequisites, you will get the following message “Course Prerequisite and/or Test Score Error –Contact Course Department”
  • If you receive this message, first check Course Explorer ( to ensure you have satisfied the prerequisites. If you have not taken the prerequisite course, please contact your academic advisor to discuss an academic plan that will satisfy the prerequisite in the upcoming semester. If you have satisfied the prerequisite, please complete the online form ( to request an override.

  • There are two main layers of advising for engineering students.  You have at least one advisor at the department level that is specific to your major.  Some majors have more than one departmental advisor.  You also have college-level advisors that you can access during walk-in advising hours in 206 Engineering Hall. An advisor list is at
  • Students in the First-Year Engineering Undeclared program will be advised by advisors in 206 Engineering Hall. After they declare their majors they will also be able to visit their departmental advisor(s).
  • Some departments have faculty advisors or mentors who can provide general college advice and guidance.

  • Each major has a curriculum map that outlines the suggested sequence of courses.
  • You will also work with your advisor to plan out your courses during your undergraduate semesters.
  • Visit for more information or to view the curriculum maps.

Once you obtain at least 30 credit hours, you can declare a minor by filing a minor declaration form in 206 Engineering Hall, though you must first receive approval from the department administering the program. Certain minors in large demand or with limited space may require an application process, as is the case for the Hoeft Technology & Management minor.

  • If you are a first-time new freshman, mention during your registration appointment that you are interested in changing majors.
  • If you’re enrolled in The Grainger College of Engineering, you may petition for transfer to another department within the College. All relevant information can be found at

Students in The Grainger College of Engineering who want to transfer to a major outside of that college can find more info at: Each college and department has their own requirements for intercollegiate transfers. Please review these requirements before beginning the transfer process.

  • If you’re considering a dual degree within engineering, you should explore your options with an advisor in 206 Engineering Hall. A dual degree requires a minimum of 30 credit hours beyond what is required by the first degree, which typically adds one additional year of study.
  • If you’re considering a dual degree in another college on campus, it’s normal to transfer to that college for a minimum of two semesters. For any degree from the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, an application must also be filed with them and you must have a minimum 3.25 GPA at the time of application.
  • Students do not apply for a dual degree until they have completed 30 hours at Illinois.


Visit Undergraduate Admissions admitted student FAQs

Visit the Engineering Wiki for First-year students

Grainger College of Engineering Resources


The Center for Academic Resources in Engineering (CARE) enhances the learning experience for all undergraduate engineering students through academic support, enhancing collaborative learning opportunities, and providing positive influence through peer mentoring.


Engineering Career Services (ECS) at Illinois provides students and employers with expert and experienced career management services. Whether you are just beginning to research careers or are seeking a full-time job, the ECS team is your career search partner.


Engineering International Student Programs enhance international and domestic student success through academic, professional, and leadership development! We encourage networking with students, faculty, and staff and partner with engineering and campus-wide liaisons.


The Grainger Engineering First-Year Experience is an interdisciplinary program designed to enhance the learning experience of every first-year student in Engineering at Illinois. Our goal is to support your aspirations by laying a solid foundation for your collegiate career.


Study abroad in your major! Our office provides you with support and access to pursue studying abroad as an engineering student and staying on track with your engineering curriculum.


The mission of the Morrill Engineering Program (MEP) is to empower African American, Hispanic, and Native American engineering students, support their success as scholars, and leverage a community of students, staff, and alumni to achieve excellence in engineering. MEP hosts a variety of activities throughout the year to enhance the student experience. 


TEC provides students and faculty with the courses, resources, and experiences to become successful innovators, entrepreneurs, and leaders.



Undergraduate research opportunities abound with 2,000+ interdisciplinary research projects. You can participate in this groundbreaking research in the 60+ laboratories, research centers, and institutes across campus. Build valuable skills, work alongside engineering leaders, and change the world even before you graduate.


The community of women at Illinois Engineering is stronger than ever. Over the past few years, we have grown our community to 25%. It is because of our focus on innovation, collaboration, and success that women make a difference in people’s lives through engineering here at Illinois. Women in Engineering is a college-wide program dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for students in the College.



Campus Resources

Disability Resources & Education Services

Disability Resources & Education Services (DRES)

The mission of DRES is to ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are afforded an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the programs, services and activities of the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign through the identification and enactment of reasonable modifications to institutional policies and procedures, the provision of effective auxiliary aids and services, the establishment of innovative educational services, and the pursuit of interdisciplinary disability research.

Learn more

Alma Mater statue at the University of Illinois

Office of Dean of Students (ODOS)

A central place for all life events and questions. The Office of the Dean of Students seeks to facilitate the integration of the academic experience of students with all aspects of university and student life. The Office facilitates interactions among students, faculty and staff to promote a campus climate which supports students' academic success and their personal and professional development. 

Learn more

A free Flu Shot Clinic is being administered by McKinley Health Center

McKinley Health Center (MHC)

Using McKinley couldn't be easier. If you're sick and think you need to visit McKinley, in most cases you'll start by contacting Dial-A-Nurse at 217-333-2700. This health care professional will answer many of your questions and suggest a course of action including scheduling an appointment if indicated. You can also schedule an appointment yourself on-line or by phone

Learn more

Counceling Center group chat

Counseling Center 

The Counseling Center is committed to providing a range of services intended to help students develop improved coping skills in order to address emotional, interpersonal, and academic concerns. The Counseling Center provides individual, couples, and group counseling. All of these services are paid for through the health services fee. The Counseling Center offers primarily short-term counseling, but we do provide referrals to the community when students could benefit from longer term services.

Learn more