The Grainger College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign commits to creating and maintaining a welcoming community dedicated to the transmission, application, and advancement of knowledge and creative endeavors through academic and research excellence. Our college is an environment where all individuals who participate in University programs and activities are expected to act responsibly and ethically, and can work and learn together in an atmosphere free of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation.
The professional expectations are based on the University Code of Conduct and General Principles on the Ethical Conduct of Research Scholarship, which state that those acting on behalf of the University have a general duty to conduct themselves in an honest and professional manner that will maintain and strengthen the public's trust and confidence in the integrity of the University and take no actions incompatible with their obligations to the University. Also reflected in these expectations are fundamental canons from the NSPE Code of Ethics for Engineers and are the mission, vision, and core values of The Grainger College of Engineering that align with our strategic plan. All members of the college should:
Aim High, Excel, Get Things Done
- celebrate excellence, generously share credit, and seek opportunities to help others;
- promote an environment that is intellectually stimulating, fostering free and respectful discussions among individuals holding many and diverse perspectives;
- challenge ourselves and constructively inspire each other while treating each other with respect.
Be Collegial, Be Inclusive, Be Collaborative
- be a supportive, encouraging, respectful member of the community, always treat others with courtesy and professionalism, listen to other community members and change our actions based on their feedback;
- collaborate and empower colleagues to achieve success and impact, in every direction they choose;
- help create and maintain an environment that is inclusive in incorporating knowledge and talents of these diverse individuals in both research and everyday activities;
- care for one another, cognizant of the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of others;
- take seriously our responsibility to report abusive, unethical, and inappropriate behavior;
- respect the diverse experiences and cultural backgrounds of all community members;
- enable others to feel safe in the discussion of uncomfortable topics and issues;
Commit to the Illinois Family, Make an Impact on Our Community
- consider the impact of our work on society, seeking to change the world for the better;
- celebrate each other as complete individuals, beyond academic and technical talents or job titles;
- speak up to share concerns or seek advice, and seek opportunities to help others;
- strive for a healthy work-life balance, for ourselves and those around us.
Be Worthy of Trust, Conduct Yourself with Integrity
- be cognizant of power imbalances between and among all staff, colleagues, and students;
- act in an ethical, non-coercive, and supportive manner and pay attention to the work of others;
- conduct academic, research, management, and general university activities ethically and responsibly;
- recognize and properly manage potential conflicts of interest and conflicts of commitment;
- complete required trainings and adhere to their specific aims and underlying policies.
“See something, say something”
- If you witness something that does not seem right, we urge you to speak up.